just in need of some info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lblac36315

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, Great Forum!
Just in need of some advice & opinions. I have the chance to cut about 20 - 30 cords of oak at no charge for the wood. I have cut mesquite wood when I was younger for winter cash, but never this much at once. I currently own a stihl 017(too small), a shindaiwa 488 (18" .325 .050), and for this job just picked up a stihl 039 bought a rollomatic ES 20" bar with 3/8" rapid super .063 gauge chain.(last chain that store had)

My questions are: in this area .063 chain isn't as easy to find as .050. Is there any pro's or con's between the two? One service center here in town told me that I could run .050 chain in my .063 bar?(doesn't sound right!) Is this b.s.?

Any advice on different and best chain selection is needed.

Is an 039 saw any good?

And lastly does anyone have an opinion of shindaiwa saws.

Thanks for any help, Lee

I will answer a couple of your questions.
Over 98% of chainsaw users will NEVER be able to tell a difference between .050 and .063 gauge. The only important consideration is matching the bar and chain. If the chain is too loose (running .050 chain in a .063 bar) then the chain will wobble and/or lean when cutting and you will not be able to cut straight very easily.

Since you already bought a bar and chain, I'd suggest using what you have. If necessary, ask the dealer to bring in some more chains for you so that you will have them available. The Stihl RS chain is what I use on my saws, excellent chain.

I would never consider buying an 039, but I use saws for a living. For a weekend warrier it is fine.

I've never owned a Shindaiwa saw.

thanks for info

Thanks for fast reply. I haven't used bar or chain yet, should I return it for .050, it just seemed that bigger was better? I am just now beginning to get into learning about the difference in chainsaws. There is ALOT for me to learn about the better brands.
Just found this site today and will be reading all the archives. The only reason I got the 039 is that I traded a hilti hammer drill that I bought at a garage sale for $10, to a friend that needed a drill and he had the saw and did'nt use it. So far I have $93 in it.

Would tell me the cons on the 039?

Just curious, what your chioce of saw is?

Thanks again, Lee

Can I jump in?
I'm not a Stihl fanatic, but am familiar with the 029/039 saws. 039 is designed as a "consumer" level product, which means it will not hold up over the long haul as well as a professional model. There are some plastic parts in it in areas where they can be safely used, and the saw isn't designed to be as light (for long days, days on end, in the woods). The max power output isn't as high as some other, similar-sized pro models. It is still a decent product, and more than worth what you have spent.

As to the chain thing, there is plenty of disagreement on the guage of saw chain, starting way back with different manufacturers years back refusing to agree on a standard. .050 is commonly used on low-end saws that use the consumer-grade low-kickback chain, but pro-level bars and chains can be had in .050 to fit almost any saw. light duty chain is made of all .050 thickness material, while some pro-level chain uses thicker stuff only the drivers are reduced in the area that rides the guide bar.

.063 is thicker , and for this reason sometimes it is mentioned that .063 chain is strongest. True enough, but most of us will never see a 60 cc saw blow a chain and break it. Because it is larger and heavier, '063 will demand a bit more power, but not that much.

It shouldn't be that hard to come up with any style chain you need in the guage you need in 3/8 chain. What is important is that you do match the components. If a dealer is telling you that it's OK to run .050 in an 063 bar, I'd probably not trust that place. You may have increased derailures, will probably burr the bar rails quickly, but mostly you will curse the set-up as your chains will not cut well while tipping sideways.

in that power class i prefer my 036's but for no more than what you have in it, it is a decent saw just don't expect it to take every day all day use for any amount of time:eek: thats my thoughts on it:angel:

oh yeah, welcome to the site:D

We are having good luck with the 039. Yes it is a consumer saw, and it is working well in that application. No lean seizes and no wear outs yet. Take care of it and you will have it quite a while. KEEP THE AIR FILTER CLEAN!

Back