Let's Start a Muff Mod Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tips and make sure your feeder rollers will go that small. No one said it couldn't be done. I know one thing for sure is I'm not going to stock .023 wire and switch over Jair for a muffler job when I can silver solder one In 5 or so min with very little effort. What ever floats your boat. If your welding stainless to your carbon steel muffler you "should" run 309 wire. Another reason silver solder is so friendly, quick and cheap to use.

Have your metals very clean. Use flux. You can use a map gas torch if you don't have oxy acetaline torch. Heat the materials and then puts the silver braze in the flame. The braze will follow the heat and only stick where flux is present.

Just tips and make sure your feeder rollers will go that small. No one said it couldn't be done. I know one thing for sure is I'm not going to stock .023 wire and switch over Jair for a muffler job when I can silver solder one In 5 or so min with very little effort. What ever floats your boat. If your welding stainless to your carbon steel muffler you "should" run 309 wire. Another reason silver solder is so friendly, quick and cheap to use.

I have no desire to change over my current setup just to try to weld one muffler mod. I was more curious than anything. I will wait until I get some silver brazing rods.

Have your metals very clean. Use flux. You can use a map gas torch if you don't have oxy acetaline torch. Heat the materials and then puts the silver braze in the flame. The braze will follow the heat and only stick where flux is present.

Is flux, flux? Are there different kinds or will any flux do the job?

Great thanks! I have some silver solder wire and some black high temp flux I purchased from a welding shop. I had plans of brazing a lugged bicycle frame but never got around to it.

So I stopped by Northern Tool and picked up a container of Hobart Brazing Flux. It is a powder type that you dip the brazing rod into before brazing.

Is this stuff okay for a muffler mod?

I'm not familiar with that type but it should work. I use a flux called Borax. Don't over complicate it, its not that difficult and its just a muffler. Clean materials is the key.

No!

get the 'black' stuff.

It has silver content, the black works so much better than the white.

No doubt there's better places to buy the silver wire, probably find your best price on the net?

No!

get the 'black' stuff.

No doubt there's better places to buy the silver wire, probably find your best price on the net?

Where would one find the black stuff? Any stores regularly stock it?

On my 550xp i just opened up everything under the deflector and was done in 10 minutes start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of gains did you see on your 550? I got one coming but i'm kinda leaning towards it being my only quiet saw so may leave it bone stock. Might get bored on a snowy day though.

No!

get the 'black' stuff.

From what I was reading online the black flux is very corrosive and it is recommended to wash it with detergent and vinegar afterwards.......

Is there any truth to this?

What kind of gains did you see on your 550? I got one coming but i'm kinda leaning towards it being my only quiet saw so may leave it bone stock. Might get bored on a snowy day though.

The gains were very noticeable it made a big difference. It didn't get that much louder because i left the baffles inside alone. Its definitely worth the 10 minutes though. On my 562 i cut the baffle inside and its really loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back