M-tronic discontinued?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo Oscar Fiegel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good evening, I heard something about Stihl stopping offering M-tronic machines. That is, they are going to be discontinued, does anyone know if this is real?

Is there an issue with the M-tronic saws? I figured the tech would be mature by this point and dependable. Maybe they're going to produce more injected saws since that tech has some time on it now.

Is there an issue with the M-tronic saws? I figured the tech would be mature by this point and dependable. Maybe they're going to produce more injected saws since that tech has some time on it now.
We won’t see another injection chainsaw I don’t think. M-tronic works great, but if you know how to tune a carburetor, it’s not necessary, an extra expense and less control for the operator. Wiring harnesses for them are very difficult to source at the moment too.

And maybe our Deisel utes (pick ups /trucks for our o/s friends ) that we carry those saws around with will go back to being simple, fool proof and long lasting eh? We can only dream
It's DIESEL btw, not Deisel. DEI is the democrat buzzword for a screwed up vision of what domestic society should be like....

my Ford F-150 has 95,000 miles and is troublefree
Since when does a F150 have a diesel in it? You probably have an Eco-Boost and I hope you are changing the oil every 5K miles and not using cheap oil either. The Eco-Boost engines are notorious for suffering camshaft journal and timing set failures if the change intervals routinely exceed 5K miles, despite what the 'change oil reminder' on the dash says.

95K miles isn't squat anyway. Diesels will go (especially the Navistar 7.3 turbo diesel engines), 250K and never pull a valve cover or roll in new main's or rod bearings. I have one btw. It's a 97 Forged rod 7.3 IDI Navistar turbocharged motor. Mine runs a full Gale Banks kit and no, it don't 'roll coal' either. My 3406 NZ 17 liter does roll coal however, which is typical for a Caterpillar engine that is shimmed up for power.

The 7.3 Navistar built diesels with forged, not sintered rods were the best engines Fords ever put in a pickup truck. Stock, they were a bit down on power but easy to wake up with the correct modifications. Mine makes 335 RWHP on the dyno. and they are somewhat reliable up to 900 horses at the flywheel though engine life will suffer and so will the driveline. I don't need that much power as it's a farm truck not a coal rolling wannabe fast truck. I still drive it via the pyrometer anyway. Forged aluminum pistons will only take about 1100 degrees combustion chamber temps for short durations without destroying them and being an OBS model, it's in great demand with Fords-Navistar people.

Since when does a F150 have a diesel in it? You probably have an Eco-Boost and I hope you are changing the oil every 5K miles and not using cheap oil either. The Eco-Boost engines are notorious for suffering camshaft journal and timing set failures if the change intervals routinely exceed 5K miles, despite what the 'change oil reminder' on the dash says.

95K miles isn't squat anyway. Diesels will go (especially the Navistar 7.3 turbo diesel engines), 250K and never pull a valve cover or roll in new main's or rod bearings. I have one btw. It's a 97 Forged rod 7.3 IDI Navistar turbocharged motor. Mine runs a full Gale Banks kit and no, it don't 'roll coal' either. My 3406 NZ 17 liter does roll coal however, which is typical for a Caterpillar engine that is shimmed up for power.

The 7.3 Navistar built diesels with forged, not sintered rods were the best engines Fords ever put in a pickup truck. Stock, they were a bit down on power but easy to wake up with the correct modifications. Mine makes 335 RWHP on the dyno. and they are somewhat reliable up to 900 horses at the flywheel though engine life will suffer and so will the driveline. I don't need that much power as it's a farm truck not a coal rolling wannabe fast truck. I still drive it via the pyrometer anyway. Forged aluminum pistons will only take about 1100 degrees combustion chamber temps for short durations without destroying them and being an OBS model, it's in great demand with Fords-Navistar people.
We've been through this with the 7.3l already. Forged rods arnt anything to brag about and a whopping 2 years of powerstrokes had sintered rods. They came out in 2001 for the 02 truck model year. There's no such thing as a reliable 900 hp 7.3l. they pretty much peak around 450-500hp and 800 ft lbs torque for reliability. To get that everything in the fuel and air system needs upgraded, including head studs. Main girdle would be a good idea at this point too. Thousands of dollars invested at this point, reliability will also start suffering they will not hit 250k mile mark without bottom end attention, and many break the earlier blocks, from a casting flaw between the cam and crank journals.
Your truck makes what power it does because it's all factory hardware can handle, nothing to brag about. Heck stock manual transmission trucks regularly dyno 300+ rear wheel hp.

a 3406 is 14.6L not 17L. 6nz refers to a c-15. The 3406e was an earlier engine same 14.6L displacment. The c-15, c-16 and c-18 engines have the same block, all 3 carry different designations. The c-18 has a different crank with a longer stroke and larger bore. Results in a 18.1L displacement. The c-16 is a 15.8L engine larger bore then the c-15. No combination of the parts will allow for a 17l displacement. There also nothing to "shim" for more power in any of them they are all electronically controlled, ie computer needs programmed. The 3406c model was the last you could tweak mechanically.

My question is because my salesman Stihl said that this system will be discontinued, but I don't know if this will only be for Brazil or globally.
Here in Brazil we have a serious problem with fuel, today it contains 27% ethanol and the forecast is that it will reach 31%.
To make matters worse, some owners insist on using poor quality oil. I like the system and I hope it continues and evolves

Good evening, I heard something about Stihl stopping offering M-tronic machines. That is, they are going to be discontinued, does anyone know if this is real?
well Brazil runs lots Ethanol there, and I bet Stihl can not sense (m-tronics) the fuel grade and tune right.
your dealer meant in BRAZIL.
for a fact.
Petrobas says.
"We produce gasoline A (free of ethanol) in our refineries.
The distributors, in turn, add anhydrous ethanol to gasoline A (according to the current content in the legislation), which is now called gasoline C, making it available at gas stations."
at 27% now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

Brazil for ages and decades tried to sell us (USA) ethanol (no joy , politics max

Not that I like saying this but you are full of shitte The one I own has a mechanical Bosch pump fyi. I retired from a Western Star dealership btw.
congratulations on retiring and not having a clue, I work industrial diesel, including rebuilding and dyno testing engines. Cat didn't make a 17L engine, nz isn't a proper prefix and neither is it listed in book or S.I.S as anything other then a c-15 6nz block. You have a 3406 A, B, or C for it to be mechanical. Here I attached an basically inclusive list of the prefixes and years used in trucks. Additionally there's the complete list of cat engine prefixes attached. Please prove me wrong. This is quite literally what I do every day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240718_144617_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_144617_Samsung Internet.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240718_144858_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_144858_Drive.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240718_144854_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_144854_Drive.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240718_144848_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_144848_Drive.jpg
    626.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240718_144843_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_144843_Drive.jpg
    633.4 KB · Views: 0

You couldn't give me one of those old IDI clunkers. You also couldn't give me an Echo over a Stihl.
You must be king level Luddite.

well Brazil runs lots Ethanol there, and I bet Stihl can not sense (m-tronics) the fuel grade and tune right.
your dealer meant in BRAZIL.
for a fact.
Petrobas says.
"We produce gasoline A (free of ethanol) in our refineries.
The distributors, in turn, add anhydrous ethanol to gasoline A (according to the current content in the legislation), which is now called gasoline C, making it available at gas stations."
at 27% now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

Brazil for ages and decades tried to sell us (USA) ethanol (no joy , politics max
MTronic will easily compensate for ethanol if the carb is up to the task.

Latest posts

Back