Making the switch to .404

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

The Millstead
Reaction score
Posting here for the “higher traffic”. Hope the mods allow it.

Im pretty sure I going jump from 3/8 to .404 on my Milling setup. I do a LOT of CSMilling.

3120XP(XS)
About to buy a new cannon 60” to replace my cheap china made 56” 3/8 that has a permanent bend in it now. The bar is just to flimsy and has caused issues milling bigger stuff. just wanted to see what others think? The 3/8 has worked fine but I know the .404 advantages. Dont really know the disadvantages if there are any besides the obvious. Its just a big change with the sprocket, files, grinding wheel, spool of chain. You get it.

Only reason I originally got the 56” bar in 3/8 was because everything I have is 3/8 besides one smaller saw.

I personally like .404 chain. It seems to stay sharp a lot longer and can take a ding better.

You have to have the power to pull it and you do. I only run .404 on a Stihl 090 and Husky 2100.

The only down side to .404 is not a lot of places stock the chain. It all has to be ordered.

I personally like .404 chain. It seems to stay sharp a lot longer and can take a ding better.

You have to have the power to pull it and you do. I only run .404 on a Stihl 090 and Husky 2100.

The only down side to .404 is not a lot of places stock the chain. It all has to be ordered.
Appreciate it sir!

60” cannon
Roll of 404
Chain breaker & spinner

All ordered

Now I think I want to figure out how to make my own nose oiler. I did not use one with the 56” bar but to spend this kind of money on a 60” i think i might want to get a bit more oil in there.

Seems like .404" pitch chain also runs well on a Stihl 084, 880, and 881. That is what Stihl recommends for these saws. Not sure why this was not mentioned here. The standard MS 660 would also pull it, but only with 10-tooth drive sprocket,

Seems like .404" pitch chain also runs well on a Stihl 084, 880, and 881. That is what Stihl recommends for these saws. Not sure why this was not mentioned here. The standard MS 660 would also pull it, but only with 10-tooth drive sprocket,
I think my 3120 came with a 404 from the manufacturer too. Been a while but I think it did. Im sure they all do I just had Kevin swap in a 3/8 when he did his magic on it.

Either way a 3120 will pull a 404 no problem.

Latest posts

Back