mcculloch chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittpete

Reaction score
I have a mcculloch 3216 chainsaw. It's been running like a champ for several years. Recently it has started to stall. I performed all of the basic maintenance, replaced gas filter,spark plug, cleaned everything (air filter,muffler screen)and it still stalled. Finally I started to fool with carburator adjustments which I guess was a mistake because now it won't even start at all. Does anyone know the correct procedure for setting the carb so I can atleast get it running again? Also does anyone know why i would be stalling like that to begin with?

Okay, I could be wrong, but I think the baselines are:

Idle speed - Screw in til it just touches contact point, then 2-3 full turns

Idle(lo) mix: (or mix if no hi/lo) - all the way in, then 1 3/4 turns out

Hi - all the way in and then 1 1/2 turns out.

These should get it to run, and you can adjust from there, assuming no other underlying problems, like a torn diaphragm in the carb.

Erik
[email protected]

The possibilities are almost too numerous to list here. Possibly restricted fuel flow from gummed up fuel filter or plugged tank vent.

Look at the bright side; it has lasted way longer than a McCulloch usually lasted.

It is rumored that there was a certian amount of the luck of the Irish shipped with each McCulloch. Thats what made them run. The luck dissipated quickly with time. It was usually totally gone even before the warranty expired. The genuine old McCulloch servicing dealers could order luck from the parts dept. and make them run again, but then they just finally ran out of luck.

Electrolux bought up the rights to the name for the Eastern hemisphere, and it is prospering, so I suspect the luck went with that deal.

Latest posts

Back