McCulloch experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtorque1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
When I was a small boy, my dad had an old McCulloch saw that he had bought sometime in the 1950's. To me, it was huge, and it bounced against my side as I carried it to him. The saw is gone now, and I just wondered what someone may be able to tell me about it as far as the size of the engine, horsepower, reputation,etc. I believe it was a 44A model.

Thanks

Welcome aboard, but I believe all the McCulloch experts are dead or are in the nurseing home.

Oh, there are some guys, brave souls, to be amoung the McCulloch clan. "In the end there will only be one".

Last edited:
Check out Mike Acres website. He has pictures of most of the saws ever made out there, with all the specs. I don't have the web-address, can somebody help out with that?

Wow!

Thanks, Mike. Nice site! My father's saw was a Super44A which weighed in at a hefty 20.75 pounds. No wonder I remembered it being so heavy. It was a hoss of a saw. I figured it would be bigger than the stated 80cc.

John

I sold lots of the D-44 and Super 44 saws, all with 24 inch bar, most went to fallers. They were a great saw, good balance, not heavy for the day, good power. That engine went on to become the go-kart motor that won many a trophy. Compared to engines of today it had much more pulling power. Reed valve intake combined with a third port induction system. The chain it was pulling was .404 pitch too. Take that saw today and put a 3/8" chain on it and away you go.

You should check out the site that Mike posted, it is really good with many different and old saws.
Kind of like a history lesson going through it!

Mike

Would you happen to know that horsepower at rpm's rating for that old McCulloch? I wonder how it would compare to a modern saw of the same size. I'll bet it made as much horsepower but at a slower rpm and so was a torquey machine. Wish my dad had kept hold of it so I could have it.

i love my big ol mcculloch. it is a 1225-a 2 man. i got the saw given to me in horrible shape. i went through restored it had to weld up and regrind the output side of the crank cause the key way was tore out. minor ammount of machine work but she is as good as new.

Back