McCulloch MAC 10-10 OILER PROBLEM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob T

Reaction score
Folks:
I have read through several of the forums on oiler issues for the McCulloch 10-10, but I have not found answer to my problem.

My saw is model 600005 and has a manual oiler. I noticed very quickly that the oiler was not working properly. I removed the chain and bar, cleaned up the area and then noticed that the oil came out just fine when I pumped it. It fills up the cavity where the oil comes out and drips all over the place when the bar is not in place. With the bar in place, it appears that the bar 'seals' the cavity and the oil cannot get onto the bar. Am I missing some pieces or what????

Very strange.

Thanks in advance to those that reply

Bob

Attachments

• P3110002.JPG
    P3110002.JPG
    1.7 MB
Wrong bar? Bar oil holes plugged? It should be fairly simple and obvious. Could also be the wrong or improperly installed bar plates.
Show a pic or two of the bar and bar plates.
The bar should have a slot and two holes in it. The hole that is on the bottom will be occupied by the chain tensioner pin in the clutch cover. The upper hole will act as the oil hole. They are both the same so you can flip the bar. The holes should be drilled through into the bar grove. Check to make sure they aren't plugged with sawdust.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you that it should be simple. Good news, bad news.

Good news---Bar holes clean and line up (see attached image). Genuine McCulloch bar. I checked the part number on the bar.

Bad news--what bar plates. There were none on the saw!!!!! Does the bar plate have a groove or something that lets the oil flow through???

Attachments

• SAW BAR PIC.jpg
    SAW BAR PIC.jpg
    2.1 MB
I see that the bar holes line up and are clean, how about the hole that leads to the chain groove on the bar? The bar plates are 2 plates that fit on each side of the bar as you install the bar. 1 on the case side of the bar and 1 on the cover side of the bar. They are thin metal plates that sometimes are not shipped with the saw if purchased from someone else. You can get by without them and the oiler will oil the b&c. They do have an oiler groove in them that directs the oil to the bar as it is adjusted over it's length. If you bar is adjusted beyond the reach of the oiler hole then it may not get the oil to the bar. Bar plates can be found on ebay often. Even only one on the inside of the bar will make a difference.

Wow, problem solved. The groove in the bar was so full of junk that there was no indication of a hole. But I should have know better!! I will purchase some of the bar plates.

Thanks to all.

Latest posts

Back