mcculloch saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckman

Reaction score
I have a McCulloch chainsaw that has not been used much. I pulled it out and started to service everything. The fuel line was rotted, so I replaced it. I also replaced the spark plug and drained all fluids. While apart I inspected the unit and it appeared fine. Cylinder operated smoothly etc. However, now that it is fully assembled it acts as it did before I started on this endeavor; very difficult to pull the starter rope. Alot of friction. I haven't fueled it yet as I believe something else may be the problem. Any hints from forum memebers? Appreciate the help.

Chuck:confused:

Not familiar with mac saws, but it sounds like something in the recoil. Is the starter rope the proper size? sometimes people use rope that is too fat and it binds up. Take the recoil off and then pull the rope a few times. Determine if the problem is in the recoil or in the motor. Look for worn dogs on the recoil (the little tabs that spring out and engage the flywheel when you pull the rope). Hope this helps. :confused:

Thanks Brian, but I don't believe it is the size rope as it is the original. I'll check the recoil to see if perhaps the problem is there. I'd like to keep this open for others to provide advice. I'm not much of a mechanic and I'm told no one will work on McCulloch for a lack of a good supply part chain. Chuck

It would be better if we knew what model of McCulloch saw you were working on. there should be a black tag with model number on it.... What does it say???
Take the starter off and turn the flywheel by hand, what does it do. If it is dragging or turns free then tight eliminate the clutch side as a source of problem then if it is still doing it put some oil in the spark plug hole and get everything well lubricated inside and try again. While you have the starter off check the clearance between the coil laminations and the flywheel, should be .018" or so. How does it pull over with the spark plug out. Is the cylinder already full of oil, or fuel, that will make it very difficult to pull over.
Dr. John

Thanks to everyone for taking your time to respond to my request. Today I decided to put furl in the machine and simply try to start it. It cranked hard at first, but then started up, burning the excess oil I had put in the spark plug hole. She runs great and now cranks normally! I'll close this thread. Chuck

Latest posts

Back