MS210 and Chains/Sprockets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fried Chicken

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This saw is amazing. Lightweight, not the most power but never not enough.

I'm doing some service on it, the oiler is leaking, the clutch cover is destroyed, so I'm replacing the tube, filter, plastic guide, o-ring and getting a new clutch cover. When I brought it to the dealer, I noticed the sprocket is almost completely gone. I thought it was supposed to have grooves like that but apparently not lol.

Anyway, the bar/sprocket/chan is a 0.325"/0.063" 16" for an MS230 or MS250. I have two extra chains for these as well.

For the MS210 Stihl recommends the 3/8" "Picco"...

So I'm scratching my head a bit. Should I put the OEM 3/8" sprocket on it along with a new bar and chain, or should I stick with the 0.325" that'll work with the two extra chains I have? I can get the sprocket when the parts for the oiler come in.

I think most people are going to agree with Stihl...a 35cc saw is best matched with a 3/8LP chain.

Your saw will pull the 3/8LP chain easier than the .325. Better chain speed when the bar is buried, would be the primary benefit.

But, if you have been happy with the .325, it would not be unreasonable to stick with that.

Roy

Back