My Hemlock is not doing well :-(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chazbot

Reaction score
Hi all, first time here in the forum. Hope this is worth your time.

I believe I have identified this pretty tree in my front yard as a Hemlock. Not sure exactly which type but it's pretty but it's not doing so well.

Sits in a nice place in the yard and I'd be sad to lose it. But it appears to be dying slowly. You can see from the second image that there is a mix of live and dead branches and offshoots.

So the question is, can I do something to save it or has it reached the end of it's life?

Any feedback you can provide will be appreciated :)

Charles

IMG_4361.jpgIMG_4363.jpg

Google 'Hemlock Woody Adelgid' and see if that is what you have.

There are controls available.

Nice lawn. Make sure that no broad leaf herbicides are being applied to your lawn.

Google 'Hemlock Woody Adelgid' and see if that is what you have.

There are controls available.

Nice lawn. Make sure that no broad leaf herbicides are being applied to your lawn.
I don't use much on the lawn. Can't recall applying anything in a few years. We've had a good summer. Decent amount of rain, the lawn has done well.
I checked the back of the leaves for evidence of Woody Adelgids. The second image below is a good example of where there are healthy leaves and then one in particular that is dying. Same with the branches. There is quite a bit of lichen on the tree as it is with pretty much every tree on the property. The trees in the front yard seem to have a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4365.jpg
    IMG_4365.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 2
Yes, I agree, it may be a water issue. I don't water that area much during the summer and never during the winter. I ordered some evergreen feeding spikes. I may also try the horticulture oil application and water it on a monthly schedule. I would like to see it survive :)

Many thanks for the input folks :)

Yes, I agree, it may be a water issue. I don't water that area much during the summer and never during the winter. I ordered some evergreen feeding spikes. I may also try the horticulture oil application and water it on a monthly schedule. I would like to see it survive :)

Many thanks for the input folks :)
Hemlock loves water. A drip irrigation setup would be best. Letting it get deep soil penetration.

Back