Need some advices for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonvi

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m new here on this site and also new to the chainsaw milling industry.
English is not my first lenguaje so if something isn’t written good it’s because of that. Ok so let me begin:

Introduction:
My name is Leonardo, I’m 23 years old and I live in Central America. 2 years ago I bought my first portable sawmill so I have some experience milling wood. I have a husqvarna 272 that I sometimes use just to cut the logs to fit the sawmill. Last year I bought 10 logs that range from 40 to 60 inches in diameter and 3-4 meters long. They don’t fit in the sawmill since it only cuts 26 inches

The setup
I searched information online and I was thinking of buying a Husqvarna 3120xp since the Stihl 881 isn’t imported in my country.
I want to buy a 72 inch bar .404 and 1.6mm, (the brand is GB titanium pro top) with a replaceable sprocket with 11 tooth’s) with a hyper skip chain (27RX) for milling big wood. I was thinking of using an auxiliary oiler on the other end of the bar. (In this country you can use the old engine oil for lubrication of the bar, idk if anyone ever used it or if anyone has some advice for me)
I was also wanting to buy a 42 inch (same brand as the other) with also a hyper slip 27RX for smaller logs.

The logging:
Where i live there is a lot of wood of that size, 40-50-60 inches in diameter that won’t fit in a conventional sawmill, those types of trees are not hardwood nor softwood, they are intermediate. So for the big bar 72 I’ll just use it on those types of trees.
With the smaller bar I may also use it on harder wood, so i don’t really know if I should buy a hyperskip for the 42 in bar or just a normal skip tooth or even a semi skip, or a normal normal chain
The logging will be mainly for when I buy big logs and I cut them and then sell the wood.
Or even if someone calls me that needs a log milled.

Any advice for a newby ?
Feel free to ask questions or say things that I’m doing wrong. I understand it’s a little bit different since it’s another country with other woods and laws and types of stuff I can buy.

Check out the chainsaw milling 101 thread, that will likely answer all your questions & then some.
Don't use waste oil as bar oil, its bad for both you & your equipment.
Finish won't be as good with hyper skip chain & you shouldn't need it with a 3120 anyway.

I already read it but i think that’s some beginner tips, wanted to get more in detail like chains, muffler and other add ones for the saw

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/cs-milling-101-hints-tips-and-tricks.93458/
If you've read this & taken in all it has to offer I doubt there's a lot more I can offer...
Chain sharpening is one of the single most important things & there are many pages on this.
A muffler mod is generally a good idea to help get the heat out of the saw, as is tuning a bit rich & running a bit more oil.
An auxiliary oiler is a good idea if you plan on working with bars around the saws max recommended bar length.
If you have any specific questions ask away or quote posts in that thread for more info.
@BobL is a wealth of knowledge on the subject but unfortunately doesn't drop in as regularly as he used to. Fortunately a great deal of his wisdom is scattered through the above thread for everyone's future benefit

I have a Stihl 780 I bought in Mexico and a 72” GB bar w hyperskip chain. I planned on using it on 40-60” guanacaste in Oaxaca but moved back to the US before I could use it there and only milled smaller guanacaste with a 42” bar and an old 87cc Stihl. Feel free to message me directly with specific questions. I read and write in Spanish reasonably well, though your English seems fine. I would buy normal chain and grind off alternate pairs of teeth - gives you twice as many teeth as hyperskip but less teeth than full skip. As far as mufflers or any other saw mods, I wouldn’t bother. For huge wood you just want torque and that’s what the 121cc saws are designed for.

Latest posts

Back