new breed of chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homelite360

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
whell this year for my senior project i designed and built an air powered chainsaw. whell i got it done today and it came otu pretty good. here are some pics of it.

wheres the bar oiler? does it have a side chain tensioner? how many RPM's does it run? :D

Hi There, thats a pretty wicked looking saw. Your a better man than I if you would give up your 357 for it. I suspect it may contribute to White Finger. Congrats on building it though. Come to think of it, does the predator have an AV system?
John

whell it turns 2500 rpm before the gear box. It produces 2.25 hp @130 psi of air. The gear box ratio is 4:1. it actually dosen't viberate all that much because i have a 8lb flywheel on the bugger. The specs on it is a 2" bore and a 2.5"stroke. i think i figured 138 cc.

That saw looks awesome! With an 8 lb flywheel, it should go pretty good. Have you cut anything with it yet?

Wow!! Nice saw, that thing would be great for anywhere you have a compressor near by. I know air tools are pretty powerfull so that saw should cut real good.

It isn't? Well, the electricity costs money but that's about it.

Nice saw. Why didn't you do a traditional air motor? Seems to me that it would be easier than making a piston type design.

where i work compressed air is actually listed as a renewable resource.

Hey how much air does it use cubic feet per second or whatever.

Amazing homelite360, Congrats. on that. The clutch side almost looks like some old saws you see on ebay with that handle. I remember my senio project, (Associate), I went into great detail on a hog slaghtering operation. Would double as a gaffolds to hang hog thiefs. Had it all worked out. The Prof. said it was the best hog slaughtering set up that he'd ever seen.
:) Congrats again, I hope the hose is not too heavy.:cool:

whell it porks in at close to 30 lbs. no clue on how much CFM it chews up but the air compressor at the school is pleanty big enough. the reason that i went with a piston instead of a turbine is because i wanted it to be totaly out of the ordinary. i think there is over 100 hrs of machine time in it.

Back