Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adirtbag

adirtbag

Good day all. Just found the site not long ago and decided to join. I am a hobby wood worker and have have some experience with chainsaws. Mostly firewood, cleaning up down trees and farm use. I am no logger but have cut down a few trees in my life. I am really looking into chainsaw milling. Mostly because I have 3 large red oak trunks from some trees I had taken down last year. They were too big for me so I had a local arborist do it. The interest in trying to get into chainsaw milling is that I can't find anyone who can mill the trunks. They are 50" diameter. I know it sounds like a lot to do for a few trees but I also had my arborist express interest a large granberg mill so I am hoping it will be a collaboration. Then maybe I can gain experience and start on some smaller logs. Anyway looking to learn as much as I can.

Seachaser

Seachaser

ArboristSite Guru
Good day all. Just found the site not long ago and decided to join. I am a hobby wood worker and have have some experience with chainsaws. Mostly firewood, cleaning up down trees and farm use. I am no logger but have cut down a few trees in my life. I am really looking into chainsaw milling. Mostly because I have 3 large red oak trunks from some trees I had taken down last year. They were too big for me so I had a local arborist do it. The interest in trying to get into chainsaw milling is that I can't find anyone who can mill the trunks. They are 50" diameter. I know it sounds like a lot to do for a few trees but I also had my arborist express interest a large granberg mill so I am hoping it will be a collaboration. Then maybe I can gain experience and start on some smaller logs. Anyway looking to learn as much as I can.
If they are 50”, you’re going to need a big saw and a long bar. In addition to the mill.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
Welcome sir.
Have you guys purchased any equipment for the milling project yet.

chipper1

chipper1

Living Life to the Full
. AS Supporting Member.
no, nothing specific for milling these yet. I have been keeping a look out for big 120 cc class stihl saws that are for sale. The closest I have found was about 8 to 9 hours away.
Not sure what the requirements are(must be a member/ make so many post), but you can then place a wanted ad in the trading post, I'm sure someone here has one.
Have a great weekend.