New to Me Homelite 550!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClassicTinkerer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Y'all,

I just acquired a 1985 Homelite 550 w/ a 24" Homelite bar on it. I'll be honest, I probably don't need a saw this big as I generally use my chainsaw for cleaning up after storms and whatnot, though I saw it as a chance to have a running chainsaw while my Stihl 025 is down until winter for cheap ($80!). Once I have my other chainsaws running I will probably tear this one down and give it a paint job and little restoration, though nothing too fancy. I have dumped the gas and have some fresh gas mixed close to 32:1, I have installed a new spark plug and cleaned the contacts as well as verified that the oiler is functioning and it will run for a minute but still needs some tuning. Does anyone have anything that I need to check or that needs to be done on an old "new to me" saw? My biggest fear is neglecting something and ruining the saw right off the bat. I am hoping to make a box for it soon to keep the mud dobbers at by lol. I look forward to getting this saw purring like it should and hearing y'all thoughts.

Have a great day,
BH

20240712_230344.jpg20240712_230750.jpg20240712_230743.jpg20240712_230352.jpg20240712_230539.jpg

I would also check the boot.
Good Morning @undee70ss,

I will have to check that out! I can get it running though its just not tuning like I would expect it to. Initially both needles were 1 turn out ± 1/8 of a turn. I can get it to run/idle but it has a consistent bog whether I richen it or not, though may get worse. I think I am going to break down and rebuild the carb and take a look at that boot while I'm there, maybe even do fuel/oil lines. Do you have a place you recommend for parts for these older Homelites?

Thanks for the recommendation!

Good Morning @undee70ss,

I will have to check that out! I can get it running though its just not tuning like I would expect it to. Initially both needles were 1 turn out ± 1/8 of a turn. I can get it to run/idle but it has a consistent bog whether I richen it or not, though may get worse. I think I am going to break down and rebuild the carb and take a look at that boot while I'm there, maybe even do fuel/oil lines. Do you have a place you recommend for parts for these older Homelites?

To check the boot you'll have to disassemble some.
I would check and replace the pulse line, could be pinched or sucking air.

Good Morning @undee70ss,

Https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com

To check the boot you'll have to disassemble some.
I would check and replace the pulse line, could be pinched or sucking air.

I'll have to check that out, thanks! Luckily after watching a bit of Leon's videos the disassembly isn't seeming so daunting. Apologies for the late reply!!

On another note, have you dealt with Raisman carb kits? I bought a kit believing it was a Walbro kit only to find out that is was the Raisman brand, though it looks halfway decent and says its from Brazil.

Thanks,
BH

Latest posts

Back