Newby with cs 440 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bil549

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I hope this is the corect area for this question. I have a chance to buy an Echo CS 440 but when started it runs fast. Even at idle speeds the blade spins and it is loud. When the throttle is pressed it chokes then revs very fast. I can deal with small idle adjustments but I was wondering if this a larger symptom or just a saw needing some tuning. Any advise would be appreciated. I have been viewing this forum for some time to get advise on which chainsaw to look for. Thanks for any help.

It's too lean at idle, that's making the idle race and making the saw bog when you give it gas.

Check fuel and air system for leaks and clean/rebuild carb if necessary, then adjust "L" screw (idle mixture screw) on the carburetor.

I was hoping that is all that is wrong. I did not know if someone had tuned it so that it would start to hide some other problem. I can handle small adjustments but am not the ace diyer like many on this forum. I nursed my Mculloch for 10 years without needing parts but now the starter rope housing (plastic) broke and I can't find a replacement so I need another saw. Thanks for your input.

Well, I'm hoping some of the more seasoned members will weigh in on this... :)

I have a cs440 Echo, bought it new. It's a good, light, easy to handle saw. Mine will act up, rev. too high, bog down etc. untill it warms up then it's ready to cut. The longer I cut the better it runs. It's a real quiet runner and I like it in the woods when I don't want to be heard(whole nuther story) I've had it for two years and have had no problems with it. It's the saw that rides in my ATV every where it goes. If I had it to do over I would buy a 346xp. How much is the "deal" on the 440? II paid $289.00 at Home depot 2 years ago. First thing I did was replace the 18" bar with a 16" , the saw handles it much better and it doesn't catch any thing when riding in the woods.

Thanks for the advise and information. I was able to make the saw run much better with the recommended adjustments. Outside of a needing a new blade the saw seems to be fine now. It idles better and starts afterward. I can get the saw for 150. I have seen information concerning blades on the forum so I will probably get the saw and a new blade. I have had 2 mculloch saws for over 10 years and while they both still run great the plastic parts are beginning to break and I may not be able to find replacements. Again thanks for the help and if I get the saw I will likely be looking for some more tuneup info.

Latest posts

Back