Old Homelite - worth working on???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox

Reaction score
Got a Homelite Zip at a garage sale for 5 bucks. The high speed jet was screwed all the way in. Set both screws about 1.5 turns out, put in fresh premix and away she went. Seems to have good compression but I can't get any power out of it. Also can't set the carb right. Do you think a new diaphram would help?

Is this saw worth spending anything on? I have a Jonsered 625 for my fire wood cutting, but I thought this old Zip might be handy to keep out in the wood shed for occasional use.

Thanks for any advice.

It'll be a bear to cut with, but they're actually quite collectible. They go on eBay for over $50-70 pretty often. A carb kit's just around $10, so it's good no matter how you slice it. What kind of premix were you using? These ones were made for 16:1.

Does this thing use an HL?

For occasional use it would be fine. I'd keep it, sure it'll be heavy but a good backup saw. The HL is a very easy carb to rebuild.

Just about ANY power equipment dealer can get you one, you just have to find a dealer that WANTS to. Best bet is to go durung the week when they're not swamped with the weekend warriors.

Zip is a good backup saw, certainly no match for the 625, but definitley worth holding onto.

Latest posts

Back