Older McCulloch Chainsaw Reatail Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Doe anyone have any literature, or just by memory, on what the old 10 series Macs' retail cost were. I have always been curious as to what they sold for new. I would especially like to know the retail on a 7-10A when it was new and a Pro Mac 10-10.

I have a Mc Culloch Belgium retail price list (incl VAT) of 1976 with following prices :

P10-10 A/16" : 301 euro
P10-10 A/20" : 310 euro

7-10 A/16" : 381 euro
7-10 A/20" : 389 euro

SP125C/24" : 533 euro.

I don't know what the Euro/USD conversion rate was at that time (it was belgian francs actually), but todays rate is approx 1,35.

I have a Mc Culloch Belgium retail price list (incl VAT) of 1976 with following prices :

P10-10 A/16" : 301 euro
P10-10 A/20" : 310 euro

7-10 A/16" : 381 euro
7-10 A/20" : 389 euro

SP125C/24" : 533 euro.

I don't know what the Euro/USD conversion rate was at that time (it was belgian francs actually), but todays rate is approx 1,35.

Thanks! Anyone have any other prices. I have seen a bunch of prices on the really early Macs, but nothing really on the 10 series and the pro mac stuff. I converted them to usd:

P10-10 A/20" : $432.96

7-10 A/20" : $543.30

SP125C/24" : $744.41

The 7-10 and the 10-10 seem a bit pricey for 76, but not sure considering I wasn't around then. Anymore prices are welcome.

Very interesting information Roland, how many did you lay in in 1976?

Yeah, me neither...

I do remember that as a young boy chain saws were too expensive for my Dad to own his own so he would have to partner with someone to purchase a saw for cutting our firewood. I guess things have changed somewhat.

I would be willing to give $750 for a NIB SP125.

Mark

Very interesting information Roland, how many did you lay in in 1976?

Yeah, me neither...

I do remember that as a young boy chain saws were too expensive for my Dad to own his own so he would have to partner with someone to purchase a saw for cutting our firewood. I guess things have changed somewhat.

I would be willing to give $750 for a NIB SP125.

Mark

The only thing I remember of 76 is that we had an awfully hot and long summer, probably the best ever. My dad even did not have a chainsaw back then...I bought the first family saw still being at home at the age of 22 I think, ...a Stihl 038AV. Little did I know that the 2 cycle virus would bite me sometime in the future...

Here's some more prices on that list (all of them) :

PM6A/14" : 284 euro
SP40/14" : 272 euro
PM55/16" : 331 euro
PM55/20" : 340 euro
SP60/20" : 404 euro
SP81/20" : 439 euro
250 super/20" :467 euro
SP105/24" : 492 euro

the PM models and sp40/SP60/SP81/ came with a chainbrake, the others not.
the sp60 sold for more than the 7-10A, probably because it had AV.

Last edited:
And that was probably a months salary back then, least it would have been for me. The 'good old days' saws 'made of metal' were out of reach for a firewood cutter.

Now a good small pro saw is a week or two of salary, with better anti vib, less smoke, less maintenance, and twice the rpm.
I am thankful, no way could I have afforded the saws I have now, in those days values.
The wally world poulans for a day's salary now do have their place for a homeowner cleanup or cabin.
There are some good things to modern technology and productivity.
kcj

And that was probably a months salary back then, least it would have been for me. The 'good old days' saws 'made of metal' were out of reach for a firewood cutter.

Now a good small pro saw is a week or two of salary, with better anti vib, less smoke, less maintenance, and twice the rpm.
I am thankful, no way could I have afforded the saws I have now, in those days values.
The wally world poulans for a day's salary now do have their place for a homeowner cleanup or cabin.
There are some good things to modern technology and productivity.
kcj

Here's a cool site that allows you to calculate historical prices in terms of today's money. Just enter the initial year (1976 in this case), the amount, and the year you want it calculated for (most recent it can do is 2007).

So that '76 10-10 would cost $1576.59 in today's money.

http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/

Here's a cool site that allows you to calculate historical prices in terms of today's money. Just enter the initial year (1976 in this case), the amount, and the year you want it calculated for (most recent it can do is 2007).

So that '76 10-10 would cost $1576.59 in today's money.

http://www.measuringworth.com/ppowerus/

That's insane! I guess that shows you what has happened to the value of a dollar.

There's an old book called "Barnacle Parp chain saw guide" by Walter Hall, and it lists some prices current as of it;s copyright date, which is about in your range. I have a copy, but am too lazy to look for it right now...maybe someone else has a copy closer to hand.

I do know that the Homie XL-12 (no auto oiler) listed for about $240 in that time period, and the SXL AO was about $320. Since they were similar size/power range, they were probably price competitive too.

I graduated HS in 1976, and ended up getting a SXL 923 that summer to do a job because the dealer felt the SXl wasn't enough saw. Only a few bux more, and no auto oil, but lots more power. By the time we got the job done, we paid for a couple of tractor tires, the saw, fuel and supplies, and made about a buck an hour to bust our butts in the woods.

I wish I was young and limber enough to do it again.

I don't have what you asked abot but I do have these old ads.

price.jpg

priceb.jpg

pricec.jpg

priced.jpg

pricee.jpg

Latest posts

Back