Oregon Advance Cut Combos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It appears Oregon is phasing out their pro-am combos and putting in "Advance Cut" instead. Are these of new design to warrant the ~25 percent price increase?

IMG_6889.JPG

Oregon re-branded a bunch of their stuff - a big marketing thing.

It is hard to know which products have changed significantly, and which just have new names and graphics. Hopefully, guys here on A.S. will report what they notice.

Philbert

Thanks Philbert.

The Pro-Am combos were great for putting on an occasional runner that you wanted to wear a new, clean bar. They always came with safety chain that I would just throw into my rotation for regular cutting and stumping as to not wreck better chains. You could get a bar and chain out the door for under 30 bucks. Now with the significant price increase I think I would rather look for secondhand bars or just spend 40 bucks and get a RSN bar from the hardware store.

I see the Pro-Am bars went up in price to match these as well recently.

Can't comment on pricing. But, from the price tags in the photo I am pretty sure that you were shopping at a certain regional chain store (no pun intended) that was recently purchased by a large holding company. That may have affected their retail pricing strategy.

There is another regional chain store, which traditionally has the lowest retail pricing in Oregon products, which will give yo an additional 15% off whatever you can fit into the bag this week.

So, it might be where you shop. Maybe other A.S. Members can comment on whether there have been significant wholesale price increases.

Philbert

Can't comment on pricing. But, from the price tags in the photo I am pretty sure that you were shopping at a regional chain store (no pun intended) that was recently purchased by a large holding company. That may have affected their retail pricing strategy.

There is another regional chain store, which traditionally has the lowest retail pricing in Oregon products, which will give yo an additional 15% off whatever you can fit into the bag this week.

So, it might be where you shop. Maybe other A.S. Members can comment on whether there have been significant wholesale price increases.

Philbert
You would be correct in that assumption of where I was shopping.

In the case of the other regional chain they are actually more expensive for these items and would be on par after that discount (although their stand alone chain prices are much better).

Looks like neither of the gurus have been on for several months. Hopefully they will chime in next time they visit.

Nabbed a "damaged package" Pro Am combo from Amazon for about 30 percent off for one of my project saws.

It's interesting that the newer safety chain is full chisel instead of semi.

Nabbed a . . . Pro Am combo from Amazon . . .
It's interesting that the newer safety chain is full chisel instead of semi.

It varies; just like the chain in the consumer labeled packages (e.g. 'S56').

What I don't like is that they sometimes label the bar differently. Instead of using the standard Oregon labeling / numbering system (see attached), they will stamp in some code that states that it was part of a package. Makes it harder to ID the bar later on.

Philbert

Attachments

• Screen shot 2017-01-14 at 4.09.17 PM.png
    Screen shot 2017-01-14 at 4.09.17 PM.png
    29.1 KB
Thanks, good to know.

Honestly that stuff cuts pretty good. I always buy LGX or Stihl RS but have a few loops of this in the rotation and have no complaints.
I have a loop of it now too, and it cuts very well in spite of all the grousing about it I read.

......tree cutting professionals who only need to occasionally cut wood......

What? Where are all these trees made of plastic?

Back