Pear Tree split and in weak condition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shplad

Reaction score
Hi:

I know precisely zero about trees, so please be patient. My sister has some kind of pear tree with split trunk that looks like it's very weak/at risk of dying. I'm including photos of the trunk, but she hasn't yet forwarded photos of the leaves or branches of the tree.

Perplexity.ai said this about split trunks:

=============================

Here are some effective remedies to fix a split trunk on your pear tree:
  1. Remove any fruit from the damaged branch to reduce weight and strain.
  2. Bring the two split pieces back together as tightly as possible to get a good union between them.
  3. Use cable ties, budding tape, or rope to firmly bind the split pieces together. For larger splits on the main trunk, heavy-duty cable ties work best to pull the sides tightly together.
  4. You may need to support the repaired branch with additional rope or twine while it heals.
  5. Leave the bindings in place for at least 6-12 months to allow the split to callus over and heal.
  6. Do not use pruning paint or sealants, as these can interfere with the tree's natural healing process.
  7. Instead, use a sharp knife to trace around the split bark about 1/2-1 inch away, then remove the loose bark. This will help expose fresh wood and promote callusing.
  8. Encourage vigorous growth with fertilizer and proper watering to aid in wound closure.
  9. For larger trunk splits, installing threaded rods through the trunk and securing with washers/nuts can provide structural support, combined with cabling the upper branches.
The key is binding the split tightly, removing any obstructions to callusing, and allowing time for the tree to heal itself. With proper care, your pear tree should be able to recover from the split trunk.

======================

Is this good advice? Which of these suggestions would you suggest I implement, if any?

Thanks

Based on that one photo, I would pick the best side and make a clean cut to take out the other. It might heal and might not. V shaped trees are a problem that should be avoided.

Latest posts

Back