Planting Season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nirvanachick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm 14 and one of the things I have to do is plant a tree this year - new years resolution dont ask anyway - I would like to plant an Oak tree. I live In Ireland and I am just wondering
a) When should I plant it and
b) From a seed or a little tree
Sorry I'm not up on arborium termonology or actually anything to do with trees so all help is appreciated.
Thanks

I suggest planting a small potted oak tree. Plant in the spring after the last chance of frost. Be sure to choose a planting site which will be large enough to accomodate the full-grown, mature tree. Do not plant too close to buildings or overhead wires. Also plant away from underground utilities, pipes, and sewer drains. Dig the planting hole 2 or 3 times wider than the pot but at the same depth as the pot. Slope the sides of the planting hole inward from the top. Gently remove the tree from the pot, loosen the soil slightly, and place the tree in the hole. Backfill the hole with the original soil. Soil amendments are not necessary. Gently pack the soil around the roots while filling the hole. You may wish to add a small berm around the planting site to hold water. Cover the area with 2-3 inches of mulch and water thoroughly. Make sure it gets water 2 or 3 times a week for the first couple of weeks and then once a week after that. Good luck. When you retire, you'll have a nice place to sit with the grandchildren and tell them about "your" tree.
By the way, I'm in Florida, USA. Its cool to be able to "chat" with someone so far away.

The only thing I can add to Brett's advise is to make sure that the "root flair", the area that transisions from trunk to root, is exposed. That is not buried and the tree looking like a fence post.

your 14 yrs. old thats great. My only sugestion is try it both ways. It might seem stupid to plant something, but believe this old fart.Plant it.20 yrs from now or 30 you can drive or go by & say I planted that with pride.

Latest posts

Back