primer bulbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tundraotto

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
why dont saws generally have them and if they do why not the major ones (husky, stihl etc):confused: doesnt seem like a costly addition, and while my greffardized saw start on the 2nd pull generally so does my trimmer if i use the bulb but my echo blower does not if i dont and vice a versa....cant cost much to manufacture????:confused:

Hello Otto,
Primer bolbs really allow you to increase the airflow in a saw motor. more air more power. I always take the choke shaft and choke shutter out of my modified saws amd plug the shaft holes with 598 ultrablack silicon sealer. We just leave the throttle closed and they will pull fuel out of the innermost orifice on the low side. usually start on the second or third pull. if not install a early 3120 primer bulb a nd hoses in one of the choke shaft holes
ken

the only saws I have seen with them so far...are the Craftsman (Solo 651 SemiPro)....and to be honest...they start like any other saw when cold...couple pulls with choke...then fire..one more and away we go.....but with the trimmers...its seems that you need the primer and the choke....always...maybe its a vacuum thing?? small cc's...under 30 usually...not enough vacuum(sp? not really from ELux)..dont know the answer either LottoBSlux....but send me your trimmer...we can tune that too...

thanks fellas! i knew i could count on you for some answers, just always wondered after staring a saw so easily and "having to go through the process of 4 pulls" with everything else:) Dennis dont you touch my trimmer - my wife does not like powerful sound and she may quit trimming altogether - lol....:cool:

i kinda like the bulbs myself,but have noticed they seem to be on less costly tools.my stihls,which yaw know i love, dont have them ,they start fine. my echos,which i think are fine , does have them ,they start fine. poulan pro uses them,as far as i know, huskies dont.mabe its just image or something.
now u husky fellas dont dont get riled.
i just used that example ,cause their
owned by the same money.:)
in fact im gonna own one sooner or later. a lot later ,the way thing are in the money dept. right now.still like the idea of that 72 cc saw ,they got.but at 55 that might be more saw ,wt wise than i need to plan on being able to use.i takeit back i aint never gonna get that old ,i hope.and i dont mean i want to die anytime soon.:)

Last edited:
What has to be remembered is most 2 cycles use a purge, not a primer, regardless what they call it. It circulates fuel through the carb body to insure good fresh fuel has filled the carb. It does not actually prime the throat. If it did there wouldn't be a need for a choke.

My guess on why some have and others have not has to do with carb fuel pump impulse pressure from the crankcase. A weak impulse needs some help filling the carb. Of course this then relates to lower output engines.

Tundrasnotto,
I ordered 250 primer bulbs from a certain seed company to plant in the spring....Rick

Stihl & Husky Clearing Saws/Primer bulbs

10 or more years ago I began using the HUsky 165R clearing saws. No primer bulb. After about 3-4 seasons of heavy work the 165s would be problematic to start without a lot of pulling.
When the Stihl FS550 came out it comes with a primer bulb and after 7-8 seasons with them it is still very easy to start them using the primer bulb.

For what it's worth

Frans

One thing I noticed about those bulbs.......

in the truck, or on the job tools get the sunshine on 'em. I noticed the bulbs dry and crack from UV radiation and don't last long. They also happen to be like an Archille's Heal and are the weakest protrusion when working around thorny vegetation. Even Stihl's fuel line, as protected as it is (except the 020T has some exposed line) seems to get a puncture more than I used to experience.

When I smell fuel up in the tree or workin' on the ground the first thing I notice is seepage and it's coming from a pinhole in the fuel delivery system. Had four fuel lines replaced in 6 months on my 020.

Most of my Efco line of stuff has primer bulbs. they do help starting. And yes, as someone said, they are actually air purges, as they purge the air and replace it with fuel.

They are easily replaced and are very inexpensive.

Now, here is another angle, a distributor rep told me that some of the CARB II approved stuff comes with a design feature that allows fuel from the carb to drain back to the fuel tank as opposed to staying there, thus in this situation if you do not have a purge system the unit can take many pulls to start.

I do know Jonsered 2149s can be a little contrary about getting fuel to start. I assume the 351 Husky would be similar.

Does anyone know if this drain back thing is true?

I need a primer bulb for a mccullogh 3818. Does anybody know where I can get one? This was my first saw. Felled and bucked my first tree with this little saw, a 32" dead oak. When it fell it knocked over a nice little cherry, about 18". Made a fireplace mantle and surround out of that tree.

My old Maico 250 enduro had a carb tickler, and the kickstarter on the WRONG side! That Maico ate two pistons before I found the leaky crank seal.

Latest posts

Back