Red Beard filter and the 400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennisthemenace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
The first 2 pics are of the fines getting through after only 3 tanks put through my brand new, never run, 400.
This was a very unpleasant surprise to say the least.

The original filter mount post was left in and projects quite a way into the foam.
There is no mention in the instructions about the post. You can see the impression it left.
The next 2 pics are after 4 more tanks with the post cut off. Zero fines.
The post is hollow and open to the outside but it will take a 5mm tap and short loctited torx.
No going back to the original filter of course without a new part.
I did email RB before snipping but got no reply. Maybe I had the wrong address.
PS I like the filters and use them or Maxflow on all my good saws.

Attachments

• 20240701_125140.jpg
    20240701_125140.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240701_125159.jpg
    20240701_125159.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240717_142334.jpg
    20240717_142334.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240717_142356.jpg
    20240717_142356.jpg
    959.1 KB · Views: 0
Looks like it's almost as bad as "no filter." As someone mentioned, maybe more oil?

There's nothing wrong with the oe filter, I've actually been very impressed with it on my 400. Why did you decide tou needed the foam filter?
I like the straight through aspect of the air intake. The original baffle makes the mix turn corners and be restricted I reckon.
I believe getting the baffle out helped my 462 noticeably so that was in my mind.

I like the straight through aspect of the air intake. The original baffle makes the mix turn corners and be restricted I reckon.
I believe getting the baffle out helped my 462 noticeably so that was in my mind.
There's no mix, just air. It's plenty open on the 400 for it's air needs. Just a solution In search of a problem imo.

That was painful to watch him put the top cover on. Could have made the filter just a tad smaller and avoid the fitment issues, also seemed like a very thin filter.
He did that already on the HD ones for the other saws. Redesigned to make smaller to fit under oem covers easier like oem. First designs were tight too.

I'm late to the party but... I had some issues with the Red Beard foam filter kit I installed on my Echo Timber Bear chainsaw. In essence:

The 3D printed filter cage was a tad bit too tall and it was difficult to reattach the top cover, in fact, real difficult, plus the supplied foam air filter was a tad too wide for the 3D printed cage. I had to remove part of the foam filter's edge with sharp scissors to get it to fit properly and I also had to chuck the filter cage in one of my lathes and reduce the height enough so I could reattach the top cover easily and get to to seat properly. Thankfully there was enough excess plastic on the cage itself that allowed me to reduce the height enough to do that.

And, it shipped with no ring inside the recessed cage to seal to the saws air filter fixing stud, but I have a large assortment of O rings in the shop, so I just added one, something you can also do to the stock, flocked filter as that is the prime source of fines getting in the intake on the saw (and maybe other models as well. It did ship with the larger O ring for over the carb intermediate intake but I changed that out to a larger diameter Nitrile O ring for better sealing as well.

All in all, installing the Red Beard oiled foam filter wasn't 100% plug and play by a long shot. Does it work, certainly does but be apprised again, it's not 100% plug and play. far from it and that damn filter oil is messy too. Of course the muffler mod on that saw isn't a piece of cake either. About the easiest thing was removing the flywheel and installing the offset flywheel key. i did keep the stock ignition coil with built in rev limiter but I may change that out for the larger model's ignition coil and higher rev limiter at some point in time, but then again, maybe not as it runs like a raped ape now.

Back