Rescore!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was working down on Ed's place this morning when Steve showed up. I had cutting rights to a grove of dead/dying locusts last year - harvested 8-10 cord and had lots of fun rigging up to pull logs out of the deep ditch (mini canyon). Catch was that I could only take "what is down"

Steve said he had a couple more down and wondered if I could get them out of his way. Told him I'd look at it and advised that the entire grove needs to be removed. He agreed, I can have them all.

rescore_zpsddfe5af4.jpg

It's mine! all mine! And the Locust Kid rides again!. I'll be going out Thursday if the weather prediction is right to remove that down tree. Looks about 3/4 cord and nice cutting, most of it clear of the ground. Lots of clean up though. I'll probably have to wait until after harvest to do anyi more as most of them will either fall into the field or need to yarded out using the F150 for tow power.

Harry K

I'm jealous of you guys that are allowed to burn up the branches and such. There's no outside burning allowed in NJ. Everything has to be chipped or left as a mess in the woods.

I'm jealous of you guys that are allowed to burn up the branches and such. There's no outside burning allowed in NJ. Everything has to be chipped or left as a mess in the woods.

I'm of mixed opinions. I prefer to clean up the mess, but leaving it lie leaves good habitat for the wild creatures.

I always pile the brush and leave it for the critters.

My offer is always to pile the brush then either burn it in the winter or leave it for the critters. I've lucked out the passt several years, none have asked that I return to burn it although several have done it themselves - a little firebug in all of us :)

Harry K

Looks easier and more productive over cutting that willow

I dunno which is better, cleaning up after cutting willow or locust - both are a lot of work.

I won't be able to work that grove except for theone down one until after harvest unless on the far end. I mayi be able to work there during the summer as there is an area that is not farmed anymore gives me room to do the towing.

Got an appointment in the morning to look a Lavon's willow patch. I need a bit of shoulder season and some to mix in with my locust. I can always sell the willow - many years for one customer at $120/cord. If I do that this year it will raise to $130 due to cost of fuel.

Harry K

I live in NJ, just dig a pit in the ground, surround it with rocks keep some buckets of water on hand and have a bon fire. That is what we do and I live by Freehold, however we do have a farm...

dont worry its spreading, they banned outside burning in my county a (York, PA) couple of years ago. the solution, i have to haul it to the local processing facility that is open about 2 hrs on saterday. i cant have anything longer than 4 ft and larger than 3":msp_sneaky:

you can still burn but you have to have a fancy setup with fans and a dedicated water system, has to be in a pit, you have to have at least 10+ acres, get the permitt have the fire department standing by etc.....:bang: i have about 3 acres so i can never get a permitt

you are allowed to have recreational camp fires to cook with though, that is the only exception. my small fire ring is about 6 ft around with a potatoe sitting next to it when i need to get rid of "cough" i mean cook some food.

When I first moved in to my house in a small "railroad" town, it was in an area known locally as New Market. Old postcards showed a rural area with dirt roads and spoke of growing "Jersey" tomatoes. We had a fire pit as did every house in the area where you could burn twigs and such as well as paper garbage if you so chose. The fire pits are gone now and the woods behind the house were cleared and plastic stockade fences erected around the new homes.
Yes, New Jersey has a ban on all outside burning. I don't think it's rigidly enforced and farmers may be able to get away with burning some brush as long as nobody complains. However, a lot of farms that have had developments grow up around them are now dealing with complaints from people living in the McMansions about the smells that are coming from the farms, and slow tractors clogging up the roads, and worst of all - cows crossing the roads and stopping traffic. The guy who owns my nearest saw shop has been faced with complaints to the code official from new neighbors about the smell from the wood he burns in his wood stove.
I was recently involved with a project requiring the clearing of a right-of-way for a large water line. The attempt was made to get a permit to allow burning the brush from the clearing. After a while, it became clear that the permit was going to be more trouble than it was worth and everything was chipped instead.
Whenever I cut on a friends property, we leave the brush for the critters and come back to hunt the areas in the fall.

Last edited:

I live in NJ as well and have no problem burning. None of the farmers I know of do either.

Y'all bothered by snow. Here I am all disgusted because I might not be able to get at that down tree tomorrow due to rain showers. Been spitting rain all day but not much total. Supposed to contiue tonight. That is a freshly worked field and a fair slope from road down ot the tree. Gets too wet, I might have a real problem getting back up.

Harry K

getting close to hat eating time! lol

L-O-L
He still has 5-weeks... but ya' gotta' know I'm counting the days!

I ain't scared. Here's mah hat:

images

Spidey, get your shovel ready. I'll stop in on the evening of the 26th or morning of the 27th on the way to the IA GTG so we can go frost huntin. I'd bring my own shovel, but that might mean leaving a saw home, and we can't have that!

Harry, glad to see your scrounging paying off again, and hope the weather holds off for ya. Supposed to get some liquid snow up here Saturday as well.

You're likely pretty safe Steve.

We hit 38[sup]o[/sup] here yesterday with considerable sunshine; the sun is gaining power and quite a bit of snow went away. With predicted mid to upper 40's for the next few days we'll likely see a bunch more melt. After yesterday the fields are only around 50% snow-covered now, and once that dark earth can start soaking up heat from the sun... We would need snow-cover into April for any likelihood of ground frost on May first. I expect even my yard will mostly open-up by Easter Sunday... except for the big drifts and where I piled with the plow.

Next week will be the decider. At one time the predictions were for cold and more snow (and then I would have been razzin' you big-time about that hat), now they're sayin more sun but still cold (right around the freezing mark). So I'll wait and see how next week shakes-out before I get too darn confident... actually, the way things are lookin' right now, I'd much rather be on your side of it. Besides, if you were to have to "eat that hat", that would mean a darn miserable April for us... so in reality, no matter how it shakes out, it's a win-win for me.

Back