Rewind spring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Francisco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good Day all of you Saw guru's.Aaron Francisco here wondering about all of these springs I've got laying around,only one or both ends are broke & I only had one spring that broke in many places.I'm wondering if someone outhere has refitted the old spring to work.I've done it & some have worked & some have not & did it with out heat source.Any comments? I also have some band saw blades I thought I'd maybe try just for kicks.Of course grind off the teeth first.THANKS TO ALL. Aaron Francisco

springs

No luck here. Seem to be tempered on the bent ends for strength. Other problem is that it is shorter. Rope will have to be shortened also, or will be pulling on end of spring, which is why they broke in the first place.

I have had some luck over the years on older saws repairing springs by heating them with a propane or Mapp gas torch. Trick
is not to over stress the spring when preloading it.
Josh

It just isn't worth the trouble unless you just cannot get a new one. A shop cannot afford to mess with them. The labor is worth more than the replacement, and the fix is not usually reliable because of the proper tempering issue mentioned above.

Gotta agree...not worth messing with...the rate of success is so minimal...unless you have no other choice, spend the 15 bucks...but, on the same token....if necessary, use Methoss' idea of the propane torch....that is the only success we have had...

Latest posts

Back