Rifle targets

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the EPA carbs and mufflers on virtually every saw available? It's to the point where ANY saw a pro buys off the shelf need some modification before it is suitable for pro use. (I'm not particularly impressed when members here compare modified Huskies to stock Stihls, or vice-versa. It's apples and oranges.)

Anyways, I'd like to see readily available 'pro' mufflers available from dealers and take the stock ones out for target practice. Same goes for non-adjustable carbs. :mad:

Just curious. If the EPA were to make excemptions for the professional, how, who would administer that excemption status. It doesn't seem fesable to allow or expect the individual shops to make that decision, there would be cheaters everywhere. Or would you have the EPA set up an office in every county seat to make that judgement and hand out Federal Excemption Cards.

And what designates a Professional? Only the guys who make a living doing nothing but wood cutting or would it include the local gardener who also does some tree trimming?

Sounds messy to me however its done.

You think too much like a politician, Walrus. Let's try -SIMPLE- ideas. Like allowing non epa-restricted mufflers on PRO saws. These saws normally sell for $100 more than a comperable sized 'homeowner' saw, so Harry Homeowner won't spend the extra hundred bucks anyways. People who use saws enough to know the difference will be able to use REAL saws without having to modify a brand new saw to get it running decent.

Back to the topic, which I think is a good one- Pull-ons make excellent rifle targets. After using them as rifle targets, they are readily useable as boat anchors (dual-purpose saws!) since there will be large holes in them suitable for attaching the anchor rope. :p

I don't know about those Homelites. If I shot at the one I had, I'm afraid it would come after me. Those Macs sure are great, however. The PowerMac 320 seems to be a good target with all that plastic.

EPA

Having started in the auto repair business about the same time EPA did, I wonder who is policing this thing? We all know how many vehicle were modified when it came out. Same thing here.
Dealer is not supposed to be opening mufflers, etc. But who is checking? Has anyone here seen a check?

this is why i baby my old stihls.
by the way i got a 36cc craftsman
that id bet could take a shot from a 357.
and still run. ive dropped it ,bogged it in cut for to long ,just about anything i can think of and it keeps on being a favorite
quick wk saw.any thing ugly i do . thats what i use. and it still runs good.
well they say a mutant comes along
every million or so.:)

Originally posted by Tony Snyder
You guys are kinder than I expected so far. I thought I would get heavy return fire from the Homlite fans.

It's been too many years since Homelite made anything resembling a decent chainsaw. Even the diehard Homelite fans know nothing labeled 'Homelite' in the last 25 years is worth the cost of the paint on the label. :(
Same with Mac's.

I'd say more like 15 years. The 360-750 series was good. So were the 8800-style saws, even though they were made by Solo.

u really are right , can do it.
it kinda makes me sad that things went the way they did.
better world would have the homelite
rated up their with the premium saws.
unfortunately not.oh well nuff said

The Homelite "little red" is the biggest P.O.S. on the planet, could they have gotten any more hoses on the carb? This is unfortunately the last memory many people have of Homelite. I'm proud of old XL-12, almost 40 years old and still going strong!

right on sedanman. the xl-12 was a good saw along with the super-ez. one of the xl-12's in the museum is the old blue. still starts and runs good. good thing times have changed and saws got better though. marty

Latest posts

Back