Root Barrier vs Tree Removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winos5

Reaction score
My home was recently inspected for foundation damage and the engineer recommended root barriers or tree removal for 2 large trees within 15 feet of the building. One is a live oak tree, about 30 feet high, trunk is about 2 feet in diameter at the base. The other tree is a chinese elm also about 30 feet high and 18 inches in trunk diameter at the base. The oak is only 7 feet from the foundation of the garage. The elm is about 10 feet from the foundation area of the utility room. Both have visibe surface roots running toward the foundation. Which option would you recommend? I live on the Gulf Coast of Texas, in the country, there is no shortage of trees on the property despite loosing 7 large trees to the last hurricane 3 years ago. I believe removing them would be cheaper but worry about the foundation settling more than it has if I do. I know the live oak is considered valuable, but not at the cost of the foundation. If I do the root barrier won't this involve damaging the existing roots to the oak and possibly killing it? Thanks for your help and opinions in advance.

If you can post a picture of the trees and their location that would be helpful in assessing the situation.

Yes, installing the root barrier would cut a lot of the roots and possible kill the trees, but live oaks are pretty tough so it might pull through depending on the condition it is in and where they put the root barrier. The stability of the tree could also be affected if they cut all of the roots on one side of the tree.

Installing a root barrier and removing the tree would have the same affect of getting rid of the roots next to the foundation. Are you on a slab or pier and beam?

Are you having your house leveled by the foundation company or did they just recommend the root barrier? If they are leveling the house they should provide a guaranty on the house from future settling.

If your house sits on our nice nice gulf coast gumbo soils it probably has more to do with foundation problems than any tree.

Lots of things to consider on this one.

Slab foundation. It has no structural damage, only some minor cosmetic issues at this point, however, the engineer warned me that the 2 trees will eventually cause problems. I am repairing some plumbing issues as well, and the engineer will re-eval in about 1 year after everything dries out and settles, to see if it needs any additional work.

Well, let's look at it this way. A live oak will eventually have a crown spread of 60' to 100'. It's only 7' from the house. That means that the crown will probably cover most of the roof of the house, not allowing it dry after rain, shedding leaves on the roof, dropping limbs on the roof, etc. See where I'm going here?
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/QUEVIRA.pdf

Chinese elms have a crown spread of 35' to 50'. The elm is 10' from the foundation so most of the crown of that one will also cover the roof.
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/ULMPARA.pdf

I'd go for removal now while they're small.

Newt

I gotta agree. Remove em now, remove em later, your choice. Over time these trees, with their Genetic Potential, will likely become a problem for you and your property. You say you have no shortage of trees as well, I say that I would remove them if it were me.

Let me first say that the advice you have been given by both Highclimber OR and Newt* is good and valid in relation to what maintenance costs you will face down the track with these two trees, its probably the case that the trees will cause you major problems as they grow over and into your building.

What I would like to add to the thread is that when clients recieve geotech reports in relation to movement under or around their house/building footings/foundations pointing the finger at the nearest tree I tend to be a little sceptical. I am not suggesting that youe engineer is telling fibs or that I am smarter than them, but simply this:

In the disputes I've been envolved with in this particular area of tree work...roots nuisance and damage claims...the relationship between vegetation and relative soil moisture levels, plasticity and soil suction is often presented as being simple and direct. It is niether of these things. Clients that have wished to retain trees are often prepared to have additional soil testing to determine what the physical and chemical properties of the subsoil under their buildings are, and how moisture is being altered in that environment, and what implications the alterations have for their building.

Put more simply trees do suck water (evapotranspiration) as everyone knows, but so does soil. Different soils hold onto their water with different strengths, suction in soils is measured by the pF value and (again simplifying) the suction of some soils in certain circumstances can greatly exceed the wlting point of trees. In other words you may have changes in your soils under foundations relating to varied relative soil moisture levels, these will have a relationship to the vegetation growing in the upper soil horizons, but if that relative moisture level drops below the point at which the vegetation can pull water from the soil changes in soil structure and stability after that are not connected to that process.

Yes my over simplification probably makes it sound like trees are never causally linked to sinking foundations, yes they can be, but I repeat the relationship is much more complex and important points of fact drawn from the geotech investigation need to be examined first.

Removal

Muerte the chinese elm. Chinese elm is a garbage tree, get rid of it. I know nothing of live oaks being that i am from maine, but I hear they are gorgeous. If you dont mind keeping the branches over your house removed every couple of years then keep it. Otherwise, muerte that as well. Oh and muerte means death in spanglish.

Thillmaine, just so you know, here's what a mature live oak will look like. A tree like this 7' from a house is a BIG mistake.

sevensiss-patburk.jpg

Newt

The tree is not anything near that big, but I realize it will be 50 years from now. I inherited the problem when I bought the house, I did not plant it or cultivate it. I do have one nearly that big farther back in the yard, and another @ 2 acres farther back. Like I said, there is not a shortage of trees on the property. Was hoping the power copmpany might help me with the chinese elm as it is close to the service drop as well, but all they will do is disconnect and reconnect the service drop (for a hefty fee, I'm sure) as it does not really involve their pole. Oh well, time to call a tree service...... Oh yeah, hablo espanol, gracias!

Back