Severe Bark Splitting on Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaggyLittle

Reaction score
First, I realize that there are other threads about bark splitting, but I figure the answers given might differ depending on the severity, and I am including a photo.

I am located in Northeast Ohio. I believe the tree is a red maple, and it was planted about 8 years ago. Noticed this spring that it has some pretty severe splitting in the bark on the lower trunk. Tree seems otherwise healthy. Full of green leaves (although a few patches of reddish leaves have appeared recently on the South side). No bare or dead spots. The largest split is about 4 feet tall and 6 inches wide (also on south side). Perhaps the splitting is the result of a harsh winter, or something worse? What can I / should I do? Can it be saved? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 29
Looks like typical frost cracking. Not much you can do. Folks used to paint trunks white or wrapp white plastic around them. Happens when the sun hits frozen sapwood and you get fast expansion. I've seen cherry trees open so wide I could stick my hand in them. Plant depth looks good and it's in a mulch bed which is good. Water when dry, do everything to maintain good vigor, and pray for compartmentilization of damaged tissue. Don't put any wound dressing on it.

Agree with Jed....assuming this is on the south or SW side of the tree. I have seen a LOT this year in NW Ohio. I don't record weather that closely, but what happened is we had a really bright sunny afternoon that warmed it up and some sap probably started to flow (likely in late February or March when sap was starting to flow a little). Might not have even been a warm day...just enough sun to really warm that area up. Then it froze hard - probably below zero that night.

When ever I see a wide wound like the one on the OP's maple my first guess is sun scald.
sunscald-2.jpg

Sun scald wounding on maple.

When I see a seem like (more narrow) wound, it points more toward a frost crack.
FrostCrackOnAMapleTree.jpg

Frost crack wound.

Back