Shoulder Season Creosote Warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It's that time of year for wood burners, the shoulder season ending. For most in colder areas it ends around Halloween.
This time the joke's on us Downeast: a long, warmer Fall in the 40's and up to the high 50's F with only a few below 20 F mornings. Oh yes, the STORM!.

For all the know-it-all experience burning wood on this end, I finally got blind sided with a clogged chimney cap. SWMBO noticed that when loading the non-cat, it smoked unlike ever before. This is close to a cord already up the 2 flues. Turns out that burning cool, low fires for over 2 months WITHOUT A DAILY HOT BURN ( my caps ) along with burning the usual damp but seasoned wood, made the cap with a spark grill completely shut and clog down. Snow still on the roof, this gibone had to climb to clear it. Now, it's not too bright to climb a 9 pitch shingled roof with snow. Forget the crampons on asphalt shingles. The climbing line strung from a roofer's carabiner permanently fixed to the ridge with figure eights for grip set it secure enough to get the job done with some near wet pants.

First time I had to clear and brush both flues before Spring. What a ditz .:dizzy:

Lesson learned, after too many stoves off and on wood heating for the past 25 years, I forgot some rules that I should have known whether or not you use a cat, OWB, non cat, or gasifier furnace. A reminder to myself:

1. Use seasoned firewood, or plenty of kindling if you want/need to use green or semi-seasoned wood.
2. Keep the wood out of rain/snow ( Our shoulder piles ~ a cord, are in open racks ).
3. Burn at least one very hot fire/day.
4. Don't damp down ( shut primary air down) until the fire is coaling.
5. Don't wait for the stove to smoke into the space ( or yelled at by a SWMBO !).
6. Keep an eye ( binocs help ) on your flue top.

Some humble pie to chew.:baffle:

Cleaned my chimney last week. With my Tempwood it gives me a heads up when to clean if when I take the lid off a little smoke makes it out of the stove. Pulled the cap off and surprised me how much creosote was around top. At least flaky though. Easy to clean.

Been an unusually warm fall even for tropical Plymouth. Been great for getting firewood though. But the deer ticks have been unreal!! Got two of them off me today. Nurse that works at the ER at the hospital said it's by far the worse they've ever seen.

Been chasing my tail as well. Started the fire more times this fall than I have fingers and toes:tongue2:

Good timing. I just swept out my chimney yesterday......... hadn't done it in a year. Not bad, a little build-up, but not as much as I expected.

I knew what SWMBO was, but...
I don't get the term "shoulder season".
I just can't make the connection... what does your "shoulder" have to do with the transitional period between early and late fall? I could understand "sweatshirt season", or "flannel season", even "jacket season" for you southern boys... But "Shoulder Season"? Shoulder what?

I knew what SWMBO was, but...
I don't get the term "shoulder season".
I just can't make the connection... what does your "shoulder" have to do with the transitional period between early and late fall? I could understand "sweatshirt season", or "flannel season", even "jacket season" for you southern boys... But "Shoulder Season"? Shoulder what?

I'm guessing it refers to a curve that plots temperatures over time with the Y axis being inverted (negative numbers go up).

Dear Spidy:

"Shoulder season" is common to those in northern climes with winters that average well below 32 F ( or for our Canadians, 0 C ). It is those times of year before and after what we call "winter". It is normally early fall and late spring. The shoulder means before the real heating 24/7 begins; when fires are needed to quickly warm cold mornings, or chilly evenings. Quick, short, cool, low load burns. Most of North America does not have severe winters that run from say November through March (e.g. Iowa, Nebraska, Nevada, B.C., PNW ). So it may be that the "shoulder time" is all winter for them experiencing averages well above freezing.

Think of road/highway shoulders ( e.g. not the real road ) that are not really parts of the hardtop used for vehicles. Good analogy ?

How'd we do ?

Yours in wood,
LB

Dear Spidy:
"Shoulder season" is common to those in northern climes with winters that average well below 32 F... Most of North America does not have severe winters that run from say November through March (e.g. Iowa, Nebraska, Nevada, B.C., PNW )...
Hmmmm..... I guess, but.... seems sort’s silly.

Last years average mean temperatures for my area of Iowa vs. Caribou Maine...
  • November - 32[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 33[sup]o[/sup] F
    December - 16[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 25[sup]o[/sup] F
  • January - 13[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 14[sup]o[/sup] F
  • February - 21[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 13[sup]o[/sup] F
  • March - 32[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 25[sup]o[/sup] F
  • April - 47[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 38[sup]o[/sup] F
Average mean temperatures mid-November through mid-April...
25[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 22[sup]o[/sup] F

Average low temperatures for my area of Iowa vs. Caribou Maine...
  • November - 28[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 25[sup]o[/sup] F
  • December - 10[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 19[sup]o[/sup] F
  • January - 7[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 7[sup]o[/sup] F
  • February - 14[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 4[sup]o[/sup] F
  • March - 26[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 15[sup]o[/sup] F
  • April - 38[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 28[sup]o[/sup] F
Average low temperatures mid-November through mid-April...
18[sup]o[/sup] F …… Caribou 14[sup]o[/sup] F

Now, last season Caribou, Maine was slightly colder during the last half of winter , warmer during the first half… but, Caribou experienced temperatures somewhat below the historical average after the new year, where we ran right at the historical average (maybe we should compare wind-chills to determine severity?). I don’t believe you can class Iowa (at least NE Iowa) with the same locals as Nebraska (although I've been darn cold in Nebraska), Nevada, B.C. and the PNW, It gets cold here… and I don’t ever remember the term “shoulder season” being used by anyone… it certainly ain’t “common”. Nor do I ever remember any of my Minnesota neighbors using that term (I lived in Minneapolis/St. Paul for 10 years). We just call it sweatshirt weather.

Geography matters. In the PNW, it all depends on what side of the Cascades you live on. West side=mild. East side=four seasons and in some of the valleys, extremely cold. The Methow Valley is the Siberia of Warshington. Seneca, Oregon holds some records for cold.

In the Methow, our winter entertainment was watching the Seattle people pushing or having their cars towed because the cars would not start in -20. The winter of 68/69 killed a lot of fruit trees, froze ears and tails off calves, and legend says that the fish hatchery thermometer hit -40 and broke. I lived in a slightly warmer valley but our neighbors were getting water from our house, because their pipes froze up.

All you researching googlers: LB is suitably rebuked and punished.:clap:
Who woulda known that your places had such "averages", such "means", such "lows". Sources please, with footnotes. Caribou is north of us.

I was dead wrong.....

Now about "shoulder seasons"......my friends in Ely, MN definately (sp.) do use the term.

Some years we get the tap on the "shoulder" to remind us that winter is coming. Other times we just get the slap on the behind and we are off to the races trying to stay warm. :tongue2:

Edit: Post # 460... Good number....

Back