• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Simington Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackrabbit

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Fellas, these things are rare, rare out here in Wyoming. I'd like to buy one and just thought I would ask if anybody from the more timbered areas has one they would like to sell.
Thanks, Cody

I called and visited with a guy from Madsens a few days ago. I had a very nice chat and he was super helpful. They have 23 in stock and ready to ship. I just thought I would check and see if anybody had one sitting around gathering dust and wanted to get rid of it. Bailey's also has them on their website for sale. Thanks for the responses.

I called and visited with a guy from Madsens a few days ago. I had a very nice chat and he was super helpful. They have 23 in stock and ready to ship. I just thought I would check and see if anybody had one sitting around gathering dust and wanted to get rid of it. Bailey's also has them on their website for sale. Thanks for the responses.
You a timber cutter or just interested in grinding square chain ?

Mostly interested in grinding square chain. I am a farmer/rancher and have a contracting business as well as a small firewood side business and heat with wood, as well as just love chainsaws. In Wyoming, a guy has to be diverse lol. I have a couple of jobs coming up that will involve cutting a bunch of big cottonwoods and thought the square grind might be cool. I also file all of my chains now and with a bunch more cutting a chain grinder would be nice. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I was wondering about the dirty part. I have heard conflicting stories on the dulling quicker deal. Like you, many say the regular chain is better in hard or dirty wood, but others have said that because it is not hollow ground, square grind actually does pretty well. I wanted to try it for myself. So far, I haven't had much luck trying to square file. I have several files and have attempted it on well worn regular chain, but it ended up a mess. I think I need to find a square ground chain and start from there.

I was wondering about the dirty part. I have heard conflicting stories on the dulling quicker deal. Like you, many say the regular chain is better in hard or dirty wood, but others have said that because it is not hollow ground, square grind actually does pretty well. I wanted to try it for myself. So far, I haven't had much luck trying to square file. I have several files and have attempted it on well worn regular chain, but it ended up a mess. I think I need to find a square ground chain and start from there.
If you do a basic work grind it will hold up well, but won't be near as fast as it can be made to cut(round it the same way). One of my favorite attributes of square is that it's very smooth. Being that it's so smooth you can cut closer to the ground in a more controlled fashion, hopefully that leads to it staying sharp longer.
Any chain hitting the dirt will cut quite a bit slower and will need to be touched up. Round is easier for most guys and the files are cheaper and more readily available. For the cost of getting set up with a grinder most guys won't go for it; then on the other hand some guys have multiple square grinders and even a raker grinder :innocent:.
Out of the box square chain isn't that fast I'm told, but I have no personal experience. I know round can be tuned better for most cutters style/saw/wood types/conditions than what you get out of the box.
If you are proficient filing round, the biggest difference I believe you will notice is how much smoother square is. For someone who has issues with vibrations it may help them a lot, for most, I think it's just something to play around with, me included.

If you do a basic work grind it will hold up well, but won't be near as fast as it can be made to cut(round it the same way). One of my favorite attributes of square is that it's very smooth. Being that it's so smooth you can cut closer to the ground in a more controlled fashion, hopefully that leads to it staying sharp longer.
Any chain hitting the dirt will cut quite a bit slower and will need to be touched up. Round is easier for most guys and the files are cheaper and more readily available. For the cost of getting set up with a grinder most guys won't go for it; then on the other hand some guys have multiple square grinders and even a raker grinder :innocent:.
Out of the box square chain isn't that fast I'm told, but I have no personal experience. I know round can be tuned better for most cutters style/saw/wood types/conditions than what you get out of the box.
If you are proficient filing round, the biggest difference I believe you will notice is how much smoother square is. For someone who has issues with vibrations it may help them a lot, for most, I think it's just something to play around with, me included.
Yup chipper smooth chain is a fast chain!! I always scrub a little new outa box chain not that sharp really

Yup chipper smooth chain is a fast chain!! I always scrub a little new outa box chain not that sharp really
The new husky x-cut chains are pretty smooth, and fast for round, my square work chains are about as fast, but a bit smoother.
Yea chipper all’s good, thanks hope ur doing well to how’s the new building doing ?
Doing well other than allergies kicking my butt. The barn is slow go until the work comes in this season, but I've been staying busy getting the accessory drive squared away and all my spring busy work before Mosquito season starts here.

Just wondering cause square chain fastest but ya want to try and stay in clean wood cause dirty wood not for square chain dulls quickly hears a filed square chain example not to bad View attachment 979614
I'm just getting my feet wet in square filing. From what I now know & have learned, your cutter in the pic looks perfect!

Mostly interested in grinding square chain. I am a farmer/rancher and have a contracting business as well as a small firewood side business and heat with wood, as well as just love chainsaws. In Wyoming, a guy has to be diverse lol. I have a couple of jobs coming up that will involve cutting a bunch of big cottonwoods and thought the square grind might be cool. I also file all of my chains now and with a bunch more cutting a chain grinder would be nice. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Square grind is skookum, you'll have to mess around some with your angles and figure out what works best for you, but keep in mind what a good sharp chisel looks like, and try to mimic that.
Biggest issue is getting the Simmington set up to repeat on both sides, without a bunch of fiddling about on every chain, takes a little time and patience, but well worth the results when you get it dialed in.

one key I would like to point out, you can dress the wheel to have a much taller leading angle, it should take out most of what folks call the "gullet" and lead to less 2nd and 3rd operations, after awhile, a big hook starts to develop and can impede the side cutting ability if left unchecked.

the other key is to get the 2 angles, top and side plates, to line up directly on the corner of the chain, a little too deep and it gets very agressive, too shallow and it won't be aggressive at all.

Anyway, I'm from Douglas/Casper/Midwest-Edgerton(mudwest) learned to run a saw up Labonte Canyon and Esterbrook... many many years ago

I don't have your experience, Brett, but Kevin & I were playing with my 201 in a frozen hard maple log a couple of weeks ago,& the results were eye-opening! I put on a freshly sharpened PS (round & sharpened by me-I do pretty well with round), & then put on a freshly square ground by Kevin. The rakers on the round could have been a teeny bit lower but were done just one sharpening before our test. The round took 33 sec. (the 14in bar was all in) & the square did it in 11 sec!! The differences will of course vary with different sizes of chain & saws of greater displacement--But still!!

Latest posts

Back