Stihl 025 Gas Tank Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtzCutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently picked up a Stihl 025. Was told that it was in running condition, loaded the fluids up and tried to give it a start but no go. After careful inspection of the unit the gas tank valve (small plastic nub sticking out of the gas tank) had a crack in it. This valve is still attached to the gas tank and is most likely the issue since pressure within the saw is important.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions to fix this crack?

Are you talking about the vent? The saw should run even if it is broke off. It will just leak alot of gas. As for the vent if it is that. You can screw in a fitting into the hole and put a piece of hose on with a grub screw. :cheers:
Pictures help too.

I had a similar problem with an 025.

Cut it off flush. Bought a brass hose barb at the hardware store with one side threaded, about the same diameter as the hole. Tapped the hole and epoxied the hose barb in place.

Philbert

I am thankful for this forum, here's pictures to document this process. I am sure others may learn, inform themselves of similar problems.

Overview Shot
IMG_5998.jpg

Close Up of Gas Vent
IMG_5997.jpg

There ya go Etz.Nice pics. The hose part attached to the nipple is the "vent". You could finish breaking off the nipple and do like Philbert and get a brass fitting to screw into the tank. You will probably have to drill out the tank a little. Keep us updated.:cheers:

Do you think this will suffice for a fix? Not brass, appears to be plastic in nature. I think this would be fine for this application. Haven't been working on this, I have an 031 currently in progress that has my attention.

IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

Back