Stihl 025- where's my impulse hose ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firtree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am working on a beat up 025 and I am replacing the fuel and impulse
hoses as well as a carb rebuild. However, I can't seem to figure out
how the impulse hose is routed. I can see it behind the plastic surrounding the
carb studs if I use a flashlight. How do I get at it? What two things does
it connect? The pictures in the service manual just leave me baffled!

Thanks!

The impulse connects the cylinder with the carb or sometimes, the back of the handle housing (can't remember on the 025). It attaches to the rear of the cylinder about halfway down on a little nipple that is damn hard to get to without removing the housing but sometimes you can get to it around the flywheel side. It's only 3-4 inches long.

Heh heh heh... you are at the most PITA part of working on a 025 series Stihl saw. Well, that and the oil pump. Congrats!

The impulse line is hard to get to and hard to see. But you can get to it from the left side (bar pointing forward), under the recoil cover, just above the coil and behind the flywheel. The impulse line goes from a metal nipple at the back of the engine to a plastic nipple in the orange handle that leads to a hole in the carb just to the side of the intake port.

So, take off the recoil cover, find the line, and use needle nose pliers to dig around in there to pull that thing out and shove another one in there. It can be done. Take your time, have a beer or three handy, and someone to wipe your brow with a towel that can tolerate lots of swearing and obsenities. Or, take the entire orange handle off (another PITA on these saws, requires removing carb and other stuff) and pull the intake boot off and there it will be, exposed and hanging there like an artery in open heart surgery. I have done it both ways, and recommend the first.

You guys are the best! Thanks! The new hose will be coming in tomorrow so
I hop to have the saw up and running this weekend.

You mean I disassembled a brand new saw to take those pics,

and, and. and, your'e buying the impulse line at a a a dealer????

He didn't even have one in stock?

BTW, I am just kidding.......

You mean I disassembled a brand new saw to take those pics,

and, and. and, your'e buying the impulse line at a a a dealer????

Fish, The Hardships and Cruelty You suffer at the hands of AS members is unbelievable, how can you stand it?

You are like a saint....

ST. Fish

Those pictures definitely show it. The impulse hose is junk and not attached
to the plastic connector. The parts are in, so I will try to hook it up
tonight and give it a run tomorrow after work. Thanks!

I replaced the impulse and fuel hoses tonight. That impulse hose really is
a pain, but 11" needle nose pliers made the job doable. If it doesn't pour
tomorrow I'm going to see how it runs. Thanks for all of the help so far!

I might need some help getting this thing back together guys.......

They sure come apart easier than they go back together................

It can be done. Take your time, have a beer or three handy, and someone to wipe your brow with a towel that can tolerate lots of swearing and obsenities.

Just changed the impulse line on my 025 and it was definitely a challenge. A truly evil design. Only required 2 beers though !!!

Latest posts

Back