Stihl 034

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just came across a stihl 034 that was purchased in 1995. The saw was used by multiple people (always a bad sign) and I believe someone ran the saw with pure gas. You cant pull the starter cord, it has a tag on it from a saw shop saying it needs a new piston, rings, and cylinder. Is this saw worth rebuilding? Ive never worked on saws before but would like to give it a shot. Any chance that i can replace the all these things without screwing it up if I buy a rebuild kit? Anyone know where I could get these parts cheap? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

It's pretty easy to do a jug rebuild, but parts will cost about $200-$250 if that's the only problem. (parts cost could go much higher if it needs bottom end work, a carb rebuild, clutch, and "body" parts).

I haven't seen aftermarket jugs for 034's but maybe you can find one.

If this saw is being sold "as is" by a dealer than they probably concluded it's not worth the rebuild.

I just passed on a similar condition 034 that had a $125 price tag - too risky!!

OK, let's see if it is worth it. Get the bar and chain off and the recoil. Any bearing play is too much, stop right now.
Bearings OK, get the cylinder off. The piston will probably be scored, but how is the cylinder? If the scoring appears to be deposits ON the cylinder wall, get out some emery cloth or a small cylinder glaze breaker ( a hone with 3 spring loaded stones, not foe honing a cylinder oversize). Go to work on the cylinder, see hoe it cleans up.If you can get most of it off a it feels smooth all around, You may be able to salvage it.
Check the lower rod bearing. The cage must be intact all around.
Cleaned up and bearings OK ( don't forget to check for a broken crank), check rubber hoses, pulse and fuel, and the intake boot. If it checks out, get a piston and rings, and cylider gasket. Take the old piston with you.
Put it together with the arrow on the piston facing the exhaust port. Get a kit in the carb and a fuel filter. Start it. Set the carb so the high side sounds a little rich, and cut some wood. Check over again, and enjoy.

In regards to the 034 in general, I may also have a chance to buy one. How good was/is this model in general. Thanx Bob

I have one as my main firewod saw. Very underrated, wish they still made them. Lighter than an 036, and will run right with it, if not better. Great with a 20 inch bar in hardwood.
Run it before you buy it. Should start with no more that 4 pulls cold, 1 when warm. If you find an 034 super, grab it. More power in same package. Very few in my used parts.
Weak point? Keep a good pulse hose on it.

Rebuild kit on eBay

Here`s a complete top end kit listed on eBay right now, ends today. Buy It Now price is only $117 and includes free shipping. It it is listed by Jeff Sikkema, one of the posters here and also someone who is good to do business with. I have dealt with him several times with super quick shipment. It might be just what you need. Now I`ll try to post the link. If it doesn`t work, just do an eBay search for "chainsaw", it is in the auctions ending today. Russ http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Viewitem&item=2030468025

my last 034 is for sale:( the ONLY reason i am gettig rid of it is because i replaced it with the husky 357xp. the 034 was a good saw. i got it new and have had no disappointments with it. it still runs great but the 357xp is just a little better(more speed and power). i think i'm gonna miss that saw when it goes:cry: marty

jokers,

I saw that listing on ebay, and was the reason I was asking if it was worth it or not. The saw is actually free as it belongs to my cooperative and they have no plans on repairing it. I havent gotten too far into the saw as of yet, I plan on trying it out today.

Rob

Latest posts

Back