Stihl 088 compression squish and tight cyl bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJPassmann

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
E2DF1F1B-5862-4FBD-9DAA-2464C07E06D8.jpegI just snapped an Irwin T27 trying to loosen one of 4 stiff bolts with dewalt 1/4” impact. Time to ask for help. I picked this up, nearly rebuilt, with a new stihl cyl and piston. Compression is 100 and squish is 0.050 sides, and exhaust side. Wont start, on starter fluid even. Has unlimited coil and flywheel numbers that are correct, flywheel in key and coil gapped. . Has spark, but does want to pull handle out of hand. I think builder went loctite crazy. Should i strip down and heat gun or torch cyl bolts? soak with penetrant keep hitting with impact? What is a good compression, i want see if i can delete, or soda can shim to reduce squish. Cyl probably has to come off, lost a little piece of solder in the cylinder. Thanks

Found two references for solvents for red loctite. Both have main ingredient as methylene chloride/dichloromethane ~ 80%.

I can concur that this solvent is tough on plastics from experience. Be careful it is toxic (inhale and skin) and volatile (bp = 40 oC).

Tough part will be getting it to wick into the threads and keep it off other plastics/paint.

Heat to 550 oF is another way.

Heat is your friend with locktite. Do not use an impact on those bolts. Steady pressure and heat gun will allow removal. Heat is always your friend when it’s time to get a stuck steel bolt out of aluminum or magnesium.

Latest posts

Back