Stihl 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHOPEMan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
Would like to thank all for your help on my 026 question topic last night! I went to the dealer today and tried a 026(non-pro) and a Husky 346xp. The 346xp definately is a faster revving saw. It's a wonder it doesn't come apart! They want $374 for the Husky and I can get a 026(non-pro) for $350 w/18 bar and chain or a 026Pro for $390 with same. They are telling me that to put a 3/8" chain on the 026, I will need to change the sprocket. Is the true? Thanks!

yes to change the 26 over to 3/8th you will have to change the sprocket..... but why run 3/8th on a 26??? .325 runs great on that saw, i had a 026 and loved it, got a husky 346 now and love it. i always ran .325 on mine w/16'' bar, same on my 346. hope this helps:angel:

Yes it is true, the pitch of 3/8" is different from the standard equipment .325" chain, therefore different sprockets.

A 026/MS260 with 3/8" chain is a fast powerful combo but can be hazardous as it can kickback extensively, take extreme care.
The sprocket is approx. 7 or 8 bucks.

It is a nice lightweight kick ass set up, which will handle 24" dia. nicely, more if you want to take it slower.

LOL :Eye: :Eye:

That is extremely competitive pricing on the Stihls. Most guys pay more than that.

I'd recommend the .325 chain also. Most people don't run 3/8" on saws this small. I run an 18" with .325 chisel on my 026.

And to answer your question, yes you would need a different sprocket and bar to run 3/8". It is a different size chain and will not fit on the .325 sprockets.

Pitch= distance from rivet to rivet on the chain (3/8", .325". etc)
Gauge= thickness of the drive teeth (that ride inside the bar). .043, .050, .058 and .063 are common pitch sizes.
Length= typically measured by link count. An 026 running .325 pitch and an 18" bar will use a 74 link chain.

Ryan,
I live in Hendersonville now. About 16 miles south of Asheville. I grew up in Clayton, a small town near Raleigh.

Originally posted by Lobo
lightweight kick ass set up, which will handle 24" dia. nicely, more if you want to take it slower.

Yeah, if your cutting powder snow with it!!! I think you may have been smoking something you should not have this time....20" would be the absolute max in my opinion.:) personally would go with a 16" for this size saw, in 3/8".

Otto,

You need to go back to reading school, your reffering to bar length and my post is specifying tree diameter, not quite the same. :laugh:

Dont forget you will need to change out the sprocket tip as well, if equiped with one (most likely).

I found that with the stihl chain on the 260 there was not a lot of diference between the .325 RS and the 3/8 RS chain (a little lighter and a bit less kerf and tooth height). If the 3/8 chain had any advantage in cutting speed it would only be slight and likely only on smaller softer wood. We tried 16 an 20 inch bars and both were good with .325 or 3/8 chain.

Swaped around muffles from stock to fully opened and found that made a big diference in cutting times (15-20%)

My only reason for considering the 3/8 chain was for compatibility with bars and chains for my larger 066. But it is realy not a big deal to have more than one chain pitch on hand, or have to switch a sprocket for the odd whim when I want a 20" bar on the 260 or to put a 16 bar on the 066 just for fun ect.

Timberwolf

Originally posted by Lobo
Otto,

You need to go back to reading school, your reffering to bar length and my post is specifying tree diameter, not quite the same. :laugh:

LOL, oh, yes I did read this as bar length. Anyway, just out of curiosity, how does a MS260 handle a 38" compared to a 24" tree with a 16" bar?? LMAO, does it scared?:dizzy: or a 20" bar for that matter....

Otto I dropped a 40" cottonwood with my 55 when I first got it. Man I thought that saw was flyin at the time, and that was running my 20" bar. Other than missing my garage by 1" I did pretty good with it. Didnt set any speed records, but I loved every second of it. Point is if not done every day you can cut big wood with a small saw.

yes, yes I understand. The point I am trying to make is that it doesn't matter if your cutting a tree bigger than your bar if say:
you are using a 16" bar and want to cut down a 24" diameter tree - you still need two cuts. If you have a 20" bar you still need two cuts. So Lobo cannot make statements in regards to what size tree one saw can cut down. A saw can pull a certain length bar, not cut a certain size tree.

Otto,

I believe huskyman understood my post better.

I simply was trying to explain to our young novice that the 026 with 16" bar could easily handle 24" diameter tree or log, excluding the fact that he can run 18" or 20" bar on his 026 if he likes.

I am very concious that there are bar length limits that a certain hp can and will adequately pull.

I was thaught as a rule of thumb to use bar + 50% with a quality saw.
i.e. 16" + (50%) 8" = 24" - to cut a lot of wood over that size continuously, move up to an appropriate bar length and saw power.

Occasionnally you can use that saw to cut larger but it will be a slower task.
SHOPEMan will not be earning his living with this, my understanding is it will be on and off on weekends. ;)

i stihl like my ms460 for the big stuff like that 48'' pin oak we took down to day:D

Ryan,

Yeah that 460 is a nice saw. What size bar were you using for that 48 incher. :D :blob2:

Back