• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Stihl 33RS3 vs 33RM3 vs 33RS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hop3

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got a Ms-500i R 28” thanks to your help!!
What Spare chain should I get? Looking at RS3 and the RM3. Or should I get another RS??? What chain and why?? Using stock light 28” bar

I use POA oils exclusively…
RM is the same as the RM3 right. 36 is 0.63 wide right, being 0.5 bar, I need 33RS, correct?

I went through the same chain ordeal recently on some 3/8 micro. Here are some notes that hopefully cross over from Px to Rx:
PS non safety full chisel
PS3 safety full chisel
PM3 safety semi chisel

I think these safety chains are also supposed to cut very fast. I have only used the PS so far and it of course cuts like crazy.

Here is my take
33rs is fastest cutting
33rm is a little smoother, but a little slower cutting- may hold edge a bit better in some cases
the 33rs3 and 33rm3 have added safety feature in drive link for anti kickback but will be both be slower than the non -3 versions.
(and you can’t use 36rm as you have .050 bar not .063)

Here is my take
33rs is fastest cutting
33rm is a little smoother, but a little slower cutting- may hold edge a bit better in some cases
the 33rs3 and 33rm3 have added safety feature in drive link for anti kickback but will be both be slower than the non -3 versions.
(and you can’t use 36rm as you have .050 bar not .063)
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for!

Safety chains with bump links cut slower.

Also safety chains do not bore well but I think Stihl claims they have improved this?

For the typical homeowner a 3 chain is ok or may even be a good idea depending on experience.

Thanks, I think I will try one, my son wants to learn…

Latest posts

Back