STIHL Electric Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
STIHL USA lists 3 corded electric chainsaws in its current line up:

MSE 170, 13.1A, 8.4 lbs, Picco chain, 12" to 16" bar, $340
MSE 210, 15.0A, 9.4 lbs, Picco chain, 12" to 16" bar, $440
MSE 250, 15.0A, 9.4 lbs, full sized 3/8 pitch chain, 16" to 20" bar, $540

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/electric-saws/

What is different between the MSE 210 and MSE 250 that lets it run the larger pitch chain and longer bar (besides $100)?
Same amperage. Same weight.
Are they geared differently? Different sprockets / chain speeds?
Something else?

Thanks.

(First STIHL dealer I asked could only tell me the price difference!)

Philbert

What is different between the MSE 210 and MSE 250 that lets it run the larger pitch chain and longer bar (besides $100)?
Something else?

Thanks.

Philbert

Stihl puts a MAGNUM sticker on the 250. ;)

Something else?

Thanks.

Philbert
Like most things, Stihl included, Joe Public thinks if it costs more, it has to be better.

Power absorbtion figures:

MSE170: 1.7 kW
MSE230: 2.3kW
MSE250: 2.5kW

I don't know how efficient the engines they put in these things are but nominal power (power effectively available at conditions given by the manufacturer, usually 25°C, 1atm pressure, perfect power supply etc) is usually 80% or a little more for that kind of engines so this means the nominal power for the three electrosaws are:

MSE170: 1.36 kW
MSE230: 1.84 kW
MSE250: 2 kW

2kW is about the power of an MS231 which is considerably cheaper than an MSE250... so why bother?

From your link go to support, then download the owners manual. The first two share a manual, last has its own. Last has rim drive. That is all I noticed. Husky generally lists more stuff like chain speed. Wonder what spline size. My guess is the motor has rare earth magnets and the reduction gearing is more robust. Sometimes more Stihl documents can be found via Internet search.

No pull starting, no fumes, no vagueness of anti vibe. I see such things used with electric band sawmills.

The smallest band sawmill I've seen used a 4.5kW nominal power engine, which is probably the smallest you can get away with before chainsaw mills start eating your lunch. Those labelled as "small" units usually have nominal 7-8 kW engines.

Again, there's no point in such an expensive electric saw: if you really itch for an electric Stihl an MSA140 is a decent choice for a homeowner and comes bundled with battery and charger at less the price of an MSA210 plug-in saw. The MSA250 is such big money you are very close to an MSA200 with battery and charger in price.
And no risk of cutting the cord. :laugh:

The question is not when to choose a gas, corded electric, or battery powered chainsaw.

The question is if any informed members know the technical differences between these 2 STIHL models.

Thanks

Philbert

I don't think the local Stihl dealership would let me take them apart without bringing a lot of wampum, but the MSE250 available here is considerably heavier, not to mention expensive, than its smaller siblings.
According to the little I've read about it, the MSE250 is a different animal from the smaller and cheaper electrosaws, the main difference being a much more sophisticated "engine management system", which also includes what would can be called engine diagnostics. For example the warning led will flash a particular color (yellow? orange? I don't remember) when the bushes need replacement.

Next time I am around the Stihl delaership I'll ask to have a peek at the MSE250 workshop manual, if there is one.

UPDATE: After speaking with a few dealers; noting that the information was not complete in some of their literature / manuals; an un-returned e-mail to STIHL USA; a couple of phone calls to STIHL USA; a conversation with a regional distributor who looked these up in the IPL / service manuals; the answer 'appears' to be:

The MSE 210 comes with a PICCO bar / chain / sprocket, has a tool-less chain adjuster / sprocket cover, and 'is intended for more consumer / Farm & Ranch use'.
The MSE 250 comes with a full sized 3/8 pitch bar / chain / sprocket, and 'is intended for more professional use'.

Still does not make sense to me that they would supply the same saw with those widely different bars and chains. sounds more like Piltz engineering than STIHL.

Philbert

It is not the same saw dressed differently. "fully electronic engine function control," If you go to an international site it looks like one kg of weight difference though that seems with the cutting attachment. They are 230 volts elsewhere. It takes 16 amps at 230 volts to get to that 2.5kw. At least from what I saw.
https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...hains-guide-bars/0150/Electric-chainsaws.aspx

Not sure why they use the same model numbering with different voltages. If I wanted one I sure would want that used 230, 240 or whatever you want to call it.

You seem to have gotten a vague answer from the Stihl rep. Did you specifically ask about chain speed? I see vibration data no chain speed on the attached picture.

german manual page mse250.jpg

Thanks. Color me still skeptical.

The 220/240V models are of course different, but the differences between different 220/240V models might provide some insight.

The regional guy checked the parts list and service manuals, and said, 'same motor, drive shaft, RPMs, etc.' I would believe some type of different motor management (like 'fully electronic engine function control'), since this is a big deal with other electric tools. Really surprised that STIHL is making the information so hard to find; I would think that they would really promote any special features of their top product in that line.

EDIT: maybe the MSE210 is just a 'dumbed-down' MSE250? hard to imagine, since they also offer the MSE170 with the same PICCO chain; would think that they would put .325 chain on a mid-range model.

Philbert

stihl250germanelectric.jpg

If the drive shaft is the same then would it follow the spur picco 3/8 sprocket will fit on the 250 one? I notice the foreign manual for the 170, 190, 210, 230 shows 1/4 pitch bars as a choice so there most likely are 1/4 pitch sprockets for these things.

The manuals only have one picture at the beginning everything else is a drawing. Note the bolts or screws holding the right side on. This is from the German manual. The USA manual's picture is not like this it is like the smaller number models. Maybe the US model is not all that it could be?

I am sure that there are different models / options available in different markets / different countries. Same is true for the petrol saws. They should be able to give us a clear answer on the products that they offer here. thanks for digging!

Philbert

I dunno about the mse250 but the mse220 had a fair bit of magnesium in it making it a good deal heavier than the mse180. The 220 behavied like it had 70cc torque but a lot less chain speed. The 180 behaved more like a good quality home utility electric saw. I've always wondered how the mse220 would fair against the mse250. The 250 has a good deal more rated power but weighs a lot less, so I'd guess it does not have the mag case the 220 does.

Latest posts

Back