Stihl HT101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamSteel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am have a few problems with my HT101. The first is that it started making a grinding/vibrating noise when I was using it and wouldn't cut any more. I am in the middle of taking it apart to see if the shaft is stripped. The first thing I noticed when taking it apart is a piece of a snap ring that is broke. I have no clue where it came from. The inner shaft still had the cir clip on it, but it was pushed out of the grove and up about 1/4". I also noticed that on the extension shaft at the end the bushing is loose. I though it was suppose to have a rivet in it but it looks like it has some kind of screw that comes up from the inside and maybe went into a nut in the bushing. I can not find the nut so I am unsure of what is going on. I don't know how to get the shaft apart any further to remove the screw. How do I take the extension shaft apart further?IMG_4708.JPGIMG_4706.JPG

I though it was suppose to have a rivet as well, but it is not a rivet. It has threads on it. I tried to grab it with needle nose pliers and turn it but it just spins and won't come out. Im guessing that it has to be removed to get the inner shaft out?

Was that under the rubber coating? I can get you a breakdown tomorrow

No, this is the tube that is inside of the tube with the rubber coating. It is the extension part that slides out. You can see in the second picture on the right there is a rivet that has washers under it. I think it is there to stop the extension part from being pulled out too far. I would like to disassemble it further but I'm not sure how. Im guessing I need to remove that screw that should actually be a rivet from that black plastic part.

It comes apart from the engine end. Then everything slides in in order. There's 3 plastic bearing supports inside and 2 springs. It's not to bad just watch as it comes apart and the bearing supports have grooves that match the inside of the tube.

HT101_11.gif

I found this break down on the internet. What I am trying to do is get #17 out from #27. The picture shows a snap ring #20 inside. When I started to disassemble I noticed one of the ears of a snap ring in some of the grey grease. I would like to break it down far enough to check that snap ring.

View attachment 526448

I found this break down on the internet. What I am trying to do is get #17 out from #27. The picture shows a snap ring #20 inside. When I started to disassemble I noticed one of the ears of a snap ring in some of the grey grease. I would like to break it down far enough to check that snap ring.

That looks like an HT75. There are a few differences between it and an HT101.

My local Stihl tec tried to explain them to me but he was talking to a geezer.[emoji848]

On thing I do remember is the internal spline tube (21) with snap ring (20) has to slide in from the engine end.

I see if I can find sone assembly instructions when I get to work for you. Most of the time I deal with failed bearings

Couldn't find any instructions. But 17 comes out from the back and that snap ring looks like it goes on 21. This is a different Style htimage.jpg

Couldn't find any instructions. But 17 comes out from the back and that snap ring looks like it goes on 21. This is a different Style htView attachment 526484

Off hand, that internal spline tube is slid in the housing from the wrong end.

But, the rest of the housing is out of the picture.

The snap ring needs to butt up against the support bearing.

IMG_4724.JPG

This is what I have it taken down to now. I can't get the internal splined shaft out from the tube that is on the far right in the picture. Do I have to removed that black bearing on the end to get the shaft to slide out?
I also attached a picture of the broken part of the snap ring that I found. I found it right by the power head when I first pulled it apart. It was in the grease at the end. I knew that probably isn't a good sign. Looking at the diagram it looks like there is a snap ring inside of tube that is on the right in my picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4725.JPG
    IMG_4725.JPG
    902.1 KB
ad4c00f8badfc2a1c9dcddf815d50313.jpg

The internal spline tube should slide out from the end of the tube on the right side from the top (of picture).

It should have a plastic sleeve (#25 in the illustration) around the splined tube. Possibly it is buggered up?

FullSizeRender.jpg
I just tried to pull on the far end, the end without the black bearing part and it wouldn't come out. I noticed when I pulled on it, it would move the bearing part and that screw that should be a rivet. Im wondering now if maybe someone put the screw in from the inside and then cut the part that was sticking out off. If that is the case then they would have had to been able to slide the shaft in after. Which means I should be able to slide it out but it gets hung up on the screw.

Back