Stihl M-Tronic starting position question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA452

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recently picked up a Stihl 261C-M and loving it so far. Prior to purchase, I had read and seen on videos that you use the starting position with the master control switch only when doing a cold start, and once it's warmed up you don't need to use it anymore. I even saw in one video where a guy said you should let the saw run in that position for 30 seconds or so before blipping the gas to bump it into the run position.

Now that I have the saw, I've been using it for cold starts only for the most part, however I've noticed that the manual says to use it every time you start the saw, cold or not.

Fact is on the M-Tronic saw, I don't really know just what exactly that function does. Can anyone tell me what exactly all that function does and is there any reason to use it with every single start?

Thanks

I don't know what the manual says about it, but I've started my 261 many many times and I'll tell you what works for me.

When cold, use the lowest position on the switch (call it choke). Pull it till it runs and blip the throttle a few times until it's running smoothly. Just like starting a regular saw pretty much.

Once warmed up I'll just pick the saw up and pull the cord. If you use the decomp you can use a laughably small amount of effort to start it. That's the great thing about the switch that returns to run after being switched off. Pick it up, pull, go to work.

If I'm not sure if it's cold or warm, like after 15 minutes, I'll pull it once or twice without messing with the switch, and if nothing happens I'll choke it.

That's pretty much exactly what I've been doing. Use it if cold, once warm I haven't been using it. If I let it sit a while I'll use it if it doesn't start quick and easy.

I should clarify that my manual doesn't specifically say that it should be used cold or warm, it just says to use it with each start, nothing about not needing it if warm.

What would be the point of the switch that returns to the run position if you were still supposed to move it to start the saw??

What would be the point of the switch that returns to the run position if you were still supposed to move it to start the saw??

Good point.

The saw starts easily when warm without it. I'm more just interested in what exactly all that switch is doing.

Mine will 1 pull start on run usually within 20 minutes after shutting down. I think that may be a CYA statement in the manual so it isn't tried to be cold started in run. (I don't know if it will without tons of pulls.) But there is always that one person...

Latest posts

Back