Stihl MS 180C: Pull Cord Dilemma

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spillenger

Reaction score
Good morning.

Long story short: I pulled on my starter rope too enthusiastically and it snapped. I opened up the fan housing, as instructed in the manual, but when I looked inside, the attached photos show what I saw.

I have looked high and low for some way to actually get to the half-inch of remaining rope on the spool, but it is "underneath" this thing -- a white plastic circular thing with some kind of clasp through the central bolt. When I say I've looked high and low, I mean that I've even tried to find photos on the web of this part of the MS 180C, and the photos I find do not look like what I'm looking at on the inside of my chainsaw. I went through YouTube and found a clip on repairing the starter rope for the 250 and the 180, but again, the insides of this guy's saw do not look like the insides of mine.

I have tried removing the three screws in the metal top plate, but that just removes the plate and reveals what looks to be a spring. I have tried to figure out how to take the clasp out so the white circular thing can be removed. No luck.

So, given the attached photos, where you can just barely see a little nub of starter rope that I can't get to so I can replace the broken rope with new rope, what would you suggest I do -- short of going back to the dealer with my head hung low in shame and asking him to do it for me?

Thanks.

Paul

I dunno, if it was right in front of me, maybe... my dealer, if I brought it in would take a few min & explain - maybe even do it for free. looks new, go where u got it. hopefully not a box store. no "service" there...

The 180 comes in both standard type starter and (easy start) type. Looks like you have the easy start model. You do not yank hard or fast on the easy start models. Research rope replacement on easy start model. I have never changed one myself.

Bruce

Looks to me like the plate has to come off to get to the spool. I'm not sure if the spool has to come off or not but I'll bet it does. You might be able to finesse it out without the spring coming out. Even if the spring comes out it's not the end of the world, I've rewound lots of springs, just takes a little patience...

nothing wrong with what he has if used properly. every break i've seen is done by the user. not a part problem. it's alot cheaper to replace the cord.

$3 vs $18 for a standard recoil. However you are still stuck with a Easy 2 Start that will act different from most all the equipment out there. I'm just not a fan unless you have a physical ailment in which it's actually helpful.

$3 vs $18 for a standard recoil. However you are still stuck with a Easy 2 Start that will act different from most all the equipment out there. I'm just not a fan unless you have a physical ailment in which it's actually helpful.

I wish my wife's Lawn Boy had one of them on it, maybe I wouldn't have to start it for her...

I would bet that you just need to remove the threee spline screws (torx screws) on the metal plate to accessthe rope... but i have not even toughed an easy start assembly.

Back