Stihl ms 261c-m rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmguywithasaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Are these worth rebuilding? Are they well sought after. I have two with roasted top ends. One is 💯 complete the other is missing the flywheel and a few other little things. If I was to rebuild them my plan would be to sell them. I need a bit of extra cash but I’m on the fence to sell them as is or get them going. Appreciate any input

Not sure what part of Canada you are in but I know that they sell pretty easily. Depends on what you are into them for already and how fast you need to sell them. In alberta any that are in the 350-450 range sell in a week or two, those in the 500-650 range sell eventually, but not fast. If you can fix them properly (im assuming they need seals, carb kits, top end kits, etc) you probably are going to spend $200-$300 per saw just in getting them up to snuff assuming the entire top end is cooked on both. Maybe better to just leave them as they are because you can probably get $150-200 per saw just the way they are.

Are these worth rebuilding? Are they well sought after. I have two with roasted top ends. One is 💯 complete the other is missing the flywheel and a few other little things. If I was to rebuild them my plan would be to sell them. I need a bit of extra cash but I’m on the fence to sell them as is or get them going. Appreciate any input
Yes and yes to the first 2 questions and around my parts of Canada they sell easily in the $500. range if they work and look decent. To sell a saw quickly I can just put a new chainbar on the saw and it will sell right off, they seldom ever look at the chain, the bar does the trick. Even saws with scratched up paint and plastic covers sell much more quickly if they have a new bar on them, make seldom matters but a Stihl bar is like a moth to a flame at least on the saws I sell.

absolutely worth rebuilding. They sell fast around here in the $500-600 range depending on condition.

Well I think the next step is to do overall condition check. Pressure and vac test extra. You never know until the jug is off how the rest of it looks
You may want to check the M-tronic versions. Should be on the engine series label or the coil part number. Some of the earlier versions were more problematic. If you find that you have to replace a control unit (ignition module) you will be in the hole.

The main thing to figure out is WHY the top ends burned up.

You may want to check the M-tronic versions. Should be on the engine series label or the coil part number. Some of the earlier versions were more problematic. If you find that you have to replace a control unit (ignition module) you will be in the hole.

The main thing to figure out is WHY the top ends burned up.
You betcha. Is there any way to test it without a computer?

I rebuild these all the time. Never had to replace a “dead” coil. Main thing to be aware of is there are two different cylinders - old style square and new slant fin. (Piston same for both). Your cylinder cover has to to match the cylinder. All the after market cylinders are square type so if you have a scored slant fin you either have to clean it up or pay big bucks for new Stihl. Sometimes you can find a deal on eBay. If you rebuild a CM make sure to replace the solenoid on the carb while you are at it if it has the old black solenoid.

Latest posts

Back