STIHL MS 290 - What's It Worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julian1234

Barm Foss
Reaction score
Usually can't get more then $150.00-200.00 for a pristine looking and running 290 around here. I've fixed/ rebuilt a pile of saws in that family and nearly never break even if it needs a rebuild and use oem, or higher quality aftermarket. Done quite a few with supplied China parts, I can tell you I wouldn't want to run the heavy pig with one of those cylinders without a bit of work being done.

To the OP, Why don’t you use FB market place and/or Craigslist to search for the saws you are asking the forum about? As good a way as any to help determine the value of the saw in question. Do some research as different areas of the country can show much different values.

I rebuilt a 290 FB for a customer one time. OEM parts except the piston. Salvaged the OEM cylinder. Made it very clear it will be expensive. Big ticket item was the rear handle/fuel tank. Had a 1/2 hole in original. He said OK.

When all said and done, total was $460.00. Customer was SHOCKED of course. Refused to pay and said keep it. I did. And sold it for a bit of a loss because it's a farm/ ranch saw that is heavy/bulky with mediocre power.

homeowner grade saws do not go up in value, the saws that go up in value are the oldest and hardest to build/repair/locate or are brand new, discontinued and had a great following of dedicated users.
It's considered a farm/ranch grade saw. MS290's are very good saws.

Stihl has 3 levels of saws, homeowner, farm & ranch and professional.
and battery and in tree and electric. The difference between homeowner and farm and ranch is likely displacement more than design and construction,

Strangely I looked at Stihl USA and if you take an in tree saw and make it a rear handle one (151, 194, 201) it becomes farm and ranch which is contrary to the above sentence. This classification may vary by location or country.

Strangely I looked at Stihl USA and if you take an in tree saw and make it a rear handle one (151, 194, 201) it becomes farm and ranch which is contrary to the above sentence. This classification may vary by location or country.
well even a 35cc 201 would be useless to a tree crew as a rear handle

Latest posts

Back