Stihl recommends 89 octane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Octane is often thought of as some kind of highly combustible super refined fuel.
I know people that mix it with old stale gas thinking it will revitalize it. I tell them that 100 gals of high test mixed with a gallon of old gas leaves you with 101 gallons of bad fuel.
It is actually harder to ignite a higher octane fuel than a lower octane fuel. High octane fuel is only beneficial to high compression engines. Octane adds to the cost of gasoline because it is an additive that makes fuel less likely to ignite before the spark plug fires. AKA pre ignition . Pinging, detonation, whatever you call it.
Pressure = heat. . . High compression engines can cause the fuel in the cylinder to ignite before the plug fires due to the heat generated by the pressure of the up stroke.
= Hell on a 4 stroke valve train.
Not sure how all of this could affect a stock 2 stroke engine but personally I would rather have 87 octane E-0 than any high octane fuel with ethanol in it in my stock 026 . . . But what if the compression was higher than average? In that case it would depend on what's available. We are lucky enough to have a marina nearby with 89 oct E-0. I use at least 200 gals yearly in all my small engines. Not available everywhere though. If not available Maybe run E-10 with higher octane in a ported or lowered jug saw, but if that saw is to be stored for a few months, throw a tank of $30 a gal. Tru-Fuel through it . . . Can't believe ranting about octane and ethanol again but does anyone remember Dry-Gas ?
Well that's ethanol. Used to help small amounts of water in your fuel mix in and run through the system. Fine for my 400 small block but not what I want anywhere near my boat or saw.
The crap absorbs moisture from the air.

Btw . . Ethanol is the biggest scam ever pushed down the throats of of the American taxpayer. Well, one of the biggest.

I believe heet and drygas are methanol, a different type of alcohol.

Latest posts

Back