stihltech; jokers; "other stihl saavy dudes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberturner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
the shop here in minnesota, is now saying that they've been on the phone all day with Stihl Inc. and that the carb on an "84 066 would have been different if it was going to minnesota (flatland) rather than a mountaneous region like oregon...

does this jive,,,

at first they said i'd be in for a new top end (225) + (80) for a new carb and that should fix it

i realize i am an idiot because if i had gone for that deal i'd be into this 8 year old saw (455.00 price used) + (365.00) piston cylinder gaskets, labor) + another 225 (for the 3rd piston/cylinder) + 80, for a new carb = 1100.00,,

after griping and waiting for the service mgr to call me back, he said they would take care of the new top end and i'd be responsible for the new carb

my question.... is this as good as i'm gonna do ?

thanks again, you' all have been most supportive helping me through this, i'd love to reciprocate any way i can

tom

Sounds like he is jacking you. An '84 saw has fully adjustable jets and they just didn't adjust the carb. Tell him if he needs to put a different jet in it, you will pay the $2 for a new needle jet. But I seriously doubt the 'different carb' story. Even if they had different carbs, the fully adjustable carbs should adjust enough to compensate for altitude differences.

Hi Timberturner, I`d have to agree that the shop is just trying to make you eat some of their rework costs. Without knowing for sure which carb you have I can`t say for sure, but I just looked at the carb info for the 066 and even the fixed jet version has different jets available, so in other words, why should you have to replace the whole carb? Do you know for a fact that your carb is a fixed jet anyway? If you have the model year straight, I think Brian is right. You won`t believe this, but just before logging on to AS this time, I mean just before, as in hung up the phone and logged on, I was talking with Dennis about this very issue, and in his experience with saws that have been brought up from Vancouver at nearly sea level, and then run in the mountains around him at around 3000 ft or more, he has yet to see a lean running saw because of altitude. He also spoke of his 2171 that he runs at the shop at 1500 ft and in the mountains, and he hasn`t seen any evidence of lean running in any of his many teardowns for further tweaks. Maybe the different jet sizes aren`t so important for elevation changes. Bottom line still remains that the tech didn`t isolate the cause of your lean seize and he wants you to pay for his work that was only half done. Good luck, Russ

Two blondes were discussing their difficulty finding an auto mechanic. One said, "I was so worried my new mechanic might try to rip me off, but was relieved when he told me I only needed some blinker fluid".

:eek:

thats why i don't get saws repaired. i would only replace, spark plugs, airfilters or hard parts. once it needed cylinder or carb work it became a parts saw. why invest half the cost of a new saw into an old saw? most guys by me are terrible saw mechanics and the saws never ran the same again.

An awfol lot of Oregon is not much above sea level. I live in an area near the cost where there is a lot of logging going on between 1500 ft and zero feet. Find some saw shops in the denver are and see if they have ever heard of this type of thing. Or better yet, call Stihl acting all dumb and ask for a high altitude carb and see what they say.

http://www.lawnmowerdealers.net/dealers/tpl_x1.php/Colorado/2

OK, here it is, a link to small engine shops in Colorado. After my last post, I just couldn’t accept what you were being told and if no one here has heard of this high altitude carb. It is time to double check this guys facts and start messing with him.

“ Can I get some more information on this high altitude carb, the attorney general wants to make sure his saw has the right carb”

“My cousin Vinny wants to make sure that the saw he is using to chop people up with doesn’t seize during a job. I asked him to come down here so that you could explain it to him.”

At least make him show you something published in a manual…

Ask this Bozo to expalin why if there were high and low altitude carbs why there is no warning in ANY owners manual not to operate equipment at elevations other than that which it was sold/calibrated for. The dealer wants a new carb on your saw because he doesn't have the confidence in his ability to make yours work !

OK...I have wanted to stay out of this altitude debate ever since it has arisen...but it seems our friend timberturner is having a problem...

My scenario, and views.....

I build saws for guys that live at, well, pretty much 0 feet above sea level....I set them up here, at 1500'....they dont have a problem.....I build and repair saws for locals...they work from 1500' above sea level to...well I just had to check my topo map for height...the top of the mountain is 1980 metres...they are about 500 metres below that...so 1380 metres above sea level..(I can subtract..just giving some benefit)....you do the conversion at 3.3' per metre.....and have zero problems with their saws.....I can honestly say I have never ever seen a lean seizure due to altitude problems...

Timberturner....like Oregon says...call cousin Vinny...dont accept their, in my opinion, "crap".

My $.02 (or 12 bucks cdn)

Call this number

1 - 8 0 0 - 4 6 7 - 8 4 4 5 from there go to the help desk, ask for Mike the guy with the Maine accent "i don't know his last name"
He will put you on speaker phone or you might have to tell your tale of woo to a few people.
From there Stihls local guy will jump in and tell you your getting it in the ass and he might just throw some parts in for letting them now how there company is represented.
The next step would be to have the saw fixed sell it on ebay as is and get a Husky so this doesn't happen again.

Certainly there has to be other Stihl dealers in the Twin Cities. Try another one, and see what they have to say.

Timberturner, I was wondering why the dealer would have been on the phone with Stihl at all since this was obviously not a warranty issue. Sounds like another "untruth" if you ask me. Russ

i wish i could buy this forum a beer !

gracias for the feedback,

btw, my mistake, i said this was an '84 model, that's incorrect

the guys i'm working with "think" it was a '94

cheers

Back