Storing your chainsaw...Lay it on the side or the bottom...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbug

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
One of the places that works on chainsaws near me usually sets them on their sides. With the bar facing down and the gas/oil caps facing up. That makes sense...since the gas and oil caps will not leak because they are up.

Would placing a saw in that position cause any problems...such as more leakage from the oiler or any other problems? It seems like a good way to store my four chainsaws like that in my workshop on the bench. Opinions?

Let me guess, they are all Husky's right?

(why fight gravity)

Last edited:
I store my saws sitting upright as intended, but I'd also say if the unit is not leaking oil from the oiler sitting on the side, it shouldn't hurt anything. Some saws leak a little all the time anyway.

But if you're concerned about a fuel or oil leak from the cap side, replace the gaskets on the caps and you should be good to go.

(why fight gravity)

Hi Mike...No, at the shop they are different brands. Mine are all Stihl's.

Lambs...I think I may try them on the sides, then. They don't leak at the caps. Seems prudent anyways...

Last edited:
I store my saws sitting upright as intended, but I'd also say if the unit is not leaking oil from the oiler sitting on the side, it shouldn't hurt anything. Some saws leak a little all the time anyway.

But if you're concerned about a fuel or oil leak from the cap side, replace the gaskets on the caps and you should be good to go.

Like my 272xp:angry:

(why fight gravity)
Nope...two of my Stihls leak bar oil..I have posted many times to threads of folks seeking relief from this problem

I always just advise a...FREE...cure that they just tilt the saw at about 45° angle to the flywheel side..works for me..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
Most of my saws are in cases. Those are stored upright of course. The ones that aren't in cases are usually stored upright unless they fit better on their side on the shelves. Don't think it makes any difference at all to the saw. Some saws can seep fuel through the vents if stored in certain positions. Know your saw and treat it accordingly.

This won't keep me awake at night.

Upright for all. On the side tends to leak gas if they're full all the time. The old oil leakers go back dry and my Dads go to MS260 stays upright on top of a 5 gallon bucket. My saws tend to only leak with big temp swings, like when they go into the back of my truck on a 100 degree day, that drains them every time!

One of the places that works on chainsaws near me usually sets them on their sides. With the bar facing down and the gas/oil caps facing up. That makes sense...since the gas and oil caps will not leak because they are up.

Would placing a saw in that position cause any problems...such as more leakage from the oiler or any other problems? It seems like a good way to store my four chainsaws like that in my workshop on the bench. Opinions?
The Makita 6100 has one room all for itself 😁😎
And is sitting on it's bottom as if ready to cut. No worries for leaking. Haven't seen any leak so far from anywhere. Just from the bar when not in use but not for long or a lot of oil. Just what's left on it!
Now that I haven't used it in some time it sits without bar oil or gasoline in the tank and the caps are loose.Engine has been run until it stoped by itself,as it says in the manual!
It should be placed on its bottom as if ready to cut,even if for a day or two. Gas or bar oil shouldn't leak at all!
More important is the chain to be sharpened well AFTER you're done cutting wood,so you don't waste time next time you use it! I usually leave it with a full gas tank and bar oil if I'm using it next day too. All sharpened ,oiled and ready to use! Makes my life easier! 😁😎

Long term, recover the oil. A little dripping down the bar during storage is a good thing. See avatar. The wife asked if she should soak her saw chain in oil or not. I recommended her soak it in cider. But that's just me.

The Makita 6100 has one room all for itself 😁😎
I may retire my 6100 before it gets too dirty. Deserves a room to itself and a moody spotlight. My forestry days (long, grueling) are never so tough I don't love the sound of the Dolmar starting up. The only one of my saws that doesn't leak, but I'd love it just the same if it did.

Back