This sucks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The part of the forest I was suppose to go cutting in is burning and less than 10 percent contained. Mount Baldy area of Los Angeles National Forest.

Well at least the cabin didn't burn

About 50 cabins burned and our cabin, Buckhorn ski lodge is miles awat but when a fire is 15 miles wide and moves pretty quick .... you never know where it may go.

The brush has not burned in 40 years so I guess it is due.

Do you think there will be more trees to cut after a fire? The weak trees die from the heat?

That don't sound good. I'm not sure about that location, but around here it's around 20 years before the first thinning after replanting, and that's just for pulpwood...small stuff. Hope you get some rain!

Fire near Mount Baldy

It does rain much here and this is the time of the year when it gets real windy. 80 MPH gusts are not uncommon.

Burned 32,000 acres and it is at the doorstep of Mount Baldy village.

They are going to try and save the evacuated town bt they said at best "house to house" battle.

last post

I meant to write "It does not rain much here.

Average rainfall is 14 inches for the city of Los Angeles and it has rained 4 inches.

Sure gonna have some good mud slides when it does rain.

Good point, don. Trees, brush, and litter do break up and lessen the impact of the rain while the root structure helps hold the soil in place. Take all of that away and you get the classical gravitational model (the earth sucks). Over time, the Western Mountain Ranges will take on the appearance of our Eastern Hills. Something to look forward to, huh?

Oh Beautiful Santa Ana's

Gotta love those Santa Ana Winds. 80 degree winds blow up from the desertand dry out all the vegetation, then turn around and blow back down drying out al the valleys. First fires, then mud slides. The everyone collects the insurance money and builds their house on the edge of a cliff again. Great for surfing though! I grew up in So Cal, wouldnt go back though. Lived in Big Bear 3 years, so if your up in near baldy that is some beautiful country. JB

Cabin COOP

We are members of the last ski club cabin with lifts in California.
All the rest have been sued out of business.
It is called Buckhorn ski lodge and costs $200 a year.
They have two lifts starting arond 7000 and going to 8500.
Couple of old flat head 6 cyl run the rope.
Have a snow cat which is fun.
cabin is 2 story about 2500 sqfeet upstairs sleeps 20
Kitchen tack room and huge living room.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back in the 1950's the federal government allowed you to build a cabin in a forest to help maintain the forest and that is how this cabin started. The club owns the cabin but not the land. Right now the forest rangers won't let us stop in the forest at all since this fire can move quickly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our main concern is during the Clinton administration a law passed where you could not build or add onto to the structure so if a landslide, fire, avalance earthquake etc destroyed the structure you could rebuild. We are asking the government to change the law since they regulated the fires and forestry management has caused no major fires for 40 years.

Now we have this huge 35,000 acre fire between BigBear and Mount Wilson and they can't contain it.

No way Yes way

It is very chilli today and it rained for 1/2 an hour.

Maybe enough to control the cinders from blowing everywhere.

Air sure is clean, no more Golden State glow around the sun.

Latest posts

Back