thoughts on Stihl 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an old one that I pulled out of the shed after 4 years, it cranked up with the old gas in it!
Dunno about the newer ones, but mine is a decent lightweight knock-around saw. Handles a 16" bar easily, even with weak compression. I think this is a much better consumer saw than the 029.

I have it's younger brother an 021. These saws are overpriced and underfeatured but I must admit they're pretty reliable. My 021 has been going strong for about 10 years.

My 026 doesn't weight much more than the 021 and it's far, far superior to the 021. I just can't stand to part with the old 021 so I put a 12" bar on it and relegated it to ge a pruning saw.

I rocked my chain one day while cutting firewood so I grabbed my wifes 025 to finish off a load. I kind of liked it, so I take it now to cut up all the tops. Put about 10 tanks of mix through it so far with no problems at all.

i sold some to some guys that could distroy an iron football. the saws still run real good and strong. cosmetically they look rough and the chains look like a ditch witch but the saws run well. one has been out there 5 years the other 4 years. marty

I think that the 025 and the other low end Stilhs aren't bad saws, but they're terrible values. You can do much better for the money with saws from smaller companies like the new JD, Makita, etc.

I've got one that's about 10 years old. Has went through 2 or 3 bars. A bunch of chains, and a tanker truck of gas ond oil. Have never had a problem with it. I've even got an 18" bar on it and with sharp chain it does ok. Wouldn't buy one for pro use again, but it has held up so I can't complain about it for fear of jinxing myself.

Kind of a poor man's replacement for an 024. Having no problems or comebacks so far. Even had a customer with full 3/8 chain on by mistake. I switched it back due to the sprocket, But it pulled it quite nicely.

Latest posts

Back