Tips For Saw Repairs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tom.

The zip tie trick on the frayed cable worked neat!

Concerning cutting cables. 1) bicycle cable cutters do a better job at a clean cut. Particularly cable housings. 2) After cutting a stranded cable, just a bit of solder will keep it from fraying. Crazy/CN glue works too but don't last.

That same solder also works for the ends of stranded copper electrical wire ends. If you need to loop it onto a post, and don't have a connector, make a hook or loop before you solder it.

Thanks Tom.

The zip tie trick on the frayed cable worked neat!

Concerning cutting cables. 1) bicycle cable cutters do a better job at a clean cut. Particularly cable housings. 2) After cutting a stranded cable, just a bit of solder will keep it from fraying. Crazy/CN glue works too but don't last.

That same solder also works for the ends of stranded copper electrical wire ends. If you need to loop it onto a post, and don't have a connector, make a hook or loop before you solder it.
Thanks mate, what solder and flux are you using for the stranded cable? It’s never worked for me - the solder won’t stick even with flux and being very well cleaned.

Thanks mate, what solder and flux are you using for the stranded cable? It’s never worked for me - the solder won’t stick even with flux and being very well cleaned.
Have to use acid core solder or acid flux
You getting it hot enough?

Yeah! I went even to red hot after multiple failed attempts at lesser temperatures. It just beads up and rolls right off. What solder and flux are you using?

Most stranded cables now are stainless. Silver solders recommended, get the metal HOT, MAPP gas.

Acid plumbing flux not the best, they make fluxes for stainless.

A great link to bookmark.

https://superiorflux.com/

https://superiorflux.com/products/industrial-soldering-flux/stainless-steel-soldering-flux/

Ahhhh that’s where I’m going wrong, I’m using Tin. I looked at silver silver, but that stuff is expensive! You using 56% silver?

I'd have to check.

I know the new "solder-on" "leadless" plumbing fixtures are a PITA to solder too. I wish I had a stash of the old ones.....

a few years back rebuilt a statue with an artist customer, steel wire frame covered in hard sheet copper. Originally was put together with lead solder. None of the new stuff would stick just ball up and run off . This after much cleaning and burnishing, ended up using brazing rod.

Great on brass and copper lolView attachment 1191687

For regular metals, I've got a big stash of huge (pounds each) soldering rolls, lots of lead. No silver solders

There used to be a big General Electric plant in town. Somehow lots of solder, wires, metal.....made it's way into residents workshops? :surprised3:

Some stuff was given to me by old friends who long ago retired, and I still find more at garage sales. Solders, big rolls of electrical wires, tools.......Most is better than what you can buy now. They built transformers and military ordinance.

Two uncles were master machinists there. They didn't steal. When I rebuilt my first V-8, I didn't have a set of mics. Uncle gave me three big wooden boxes full to use, "These have to come back".

When I'm in the shop digging about I'll snap some pictures.....

a few years back rebuilt a statue with an artist customer, steel wire frame covered in hard sheet copper. Originally was put together with lead solder. None of the new stuff would stick just ball up and run off . This after much cleaning and burnishing, ended up using brazing rod.

The new stuff that is lead free sucks. Just like I said about plumbing fittings......

If you worry about lead in plumbing, flush the toilet before you draw drinking water.

Since we're talking about soldering stranded steel cables, if you have a grass trimmer that uses a fixed length of trimmer line (no spool drum), you can replace the plastic line with a small diameter steel (not stainless) one if you fill the last inch on both ends with solder, it will prevent the ends from fraying apart and lasts forever.

Back