TW6 Owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abohac

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a TW 6 that I have had for almost two years now. I have split a tremendous amount of wood with it and really like the machine. The problem I have is I believe that the spindle (or the whole beam that holds the tank and engine up)) is bending. My dad followed me today going down the road and he thinks I'm getting a little bow legged on the tank side. Like I said I have used it alot. I have towed it alot (usually 5 miles or less) and don't think I have ever gone over 25-30 MPH with it. I wish it had springs, but it doesn't. Anyone else have this problem?

I have a TW 6 that I have had for almost two years now. I have split a tremendous amount of wood with it and really like the machine. The problem I have is I believe that the spindle (or the whole beam that holds the tank and engine up)) is bending. My dad followed me today going down the road and he thinks I'm getting a little bow legged on the tank side. Like I said I have used it alot. I have towed it alot (usually 5 miles or less) and don't think I have ever gone over 25-30 MPH with it. I wish it had springs, but it doesn't. Anyone else have this problem?

I was told by my dealer that Timberwolf has recommended that the splitters be put on a trailer and moved that way any great distance period obviously for the reasoning below. The axle tubes do not have gussets for strengthening the ends and that tube welded to the beam is supporting the entire splitter along the welds do not forget that part.

Do not forget as well you are carring a lot of weight too with the hydraulic tank and a full load of oil etc. and that the tires are transmitting back to the axle tube the bouncing on the road.

Springs would require a full box frame to hold the splitter to the axle.

A phone call to timberwolfs service desk will help you and they are very friendly. perhaps a new tube, axle shaft, and bearings are in order/ How often to do you repack the wheel bearings?

If you use it a lot and it is out of warranty a welded box frame with springs may be justified.

leon

:chainsaw: :givebeer: :jawdrop: :popcorn: :(

TW6 axle bends

Yup I have seen way too many 1" axles bent on the TW6's that I have sold what a pain in the a@@ to cut them out and reweld new ones in. The majority of the time now on my stock ordered units I special order them with 1 1/4" axles from the factory. They will do this upon request I wish they would do this to each and every TW6 they produce they say it cost too much... Write or call Timberwolf and tell them the axles are not strong enough for the weight of the TW6 and maybe they will change future production.

Side note all the heavy axles I have sold none have came back from being bent!!

Scott

hey tony, call bob and see if he has any suggestions. He probably wont remember you

Yup I have seen way too many 1" axles bent on the TW6's that I have sold what a pain in the a@@ to cut them out and reweld new ones in. The majority of the time now on my stock ordered units I special order them with 1 1/4" axles from the factory. They will do this upon request I wish they would do this to each and every TW6 they produce they say it cost too much... Write or call Timberwolf and tell them the axles are not strong enough for the weight of the TW6 and maybe they will change future production.

Side note all the heavy axles I have sold none have came back from being bent!!

Scott

Scott, Can I get the heavier axles from Timberwolf? Can I just go to a trailer shop here locally and buy some and have someone better than me weld them in?

I was told by my dealer that Timberwolf has recommended that the splitters be put on a trailer and moved that way any great distance period obviously for the reasoning below. The axle tubes do not have gussets for strengthening the ends and that tube welded to the beam is supporting the entire splitter along the welds do not forget that part.

Do not forget as well you are carring a lot of weight too with the hydraulic tank and a full load of oil etc. and that the tires are transmitting back to the axle tube the bouncing on the road.

Springs would require a full box frame to hold the splitter to the axle.

A phone call to timberwolfs service desk will help you and they are very friendly. perhaps a new tube, axle shaft, and bearings are in order/ How often to do you repack the wheel bearings?

If you use it a lot and it is out of warranty a welded box frame with springs may be justified.

leon

:chainsaw: :givebeer: :jawdrop: :popcorn: :(

that's exactly what the book says. Who the heck want's to load the darned thing on a trailer?

Scott, Can I get the heavier axles from Timberwolf? Can I just go to a trailer shop here locally and buy some and have someone better than me weld them in?

Yes or Yes Timberwolf DOES stock the 1 1/4" stubs cause thats what they put into my TW6 splitters. Or you can get the parts from a local trailer parts supplier and have a qualified welder do the job.

They do charge me more money for this option so don't expect the upgrade for free...

Scott

Yes or Yes Timberwolf DOES stock the 1 1/4" stubs cause thats what they put into my TW6 splitters. Or you can get the parts from a local trailer parts supplier and have a qualified welder do the job.

They do charge me more money for this option so don't expect the upgrade for free...

Scott
Well I have to tell you I never expect anything for free. I've learned over the years that the American way is for people to try to figure out how to get your money into their pockect (legally or illegally).

Last edited:
Back