Two cylinder Echo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What would one of those two cylinder Echos in nice shape be worth for a collector saw? Its in good shape, just broke in on its original sprocket.

I guess the power to weight wasn't to good on those, ah?

Those things always interested me. I suspect that they are a very 'torquey' saw. I never got to run one but looked at one in John Deere guise. Sorry, I have no idea what one is worth at this point.

I've been after one of those saws for a while. I ran one a while back for a bout a minute. Strange saw, and yes why? I've heard they are extremely unreliable saws.

Heavy, unreliable, very little power for the size. But smooooooooooooooooooth.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the eBay price in this case. Offline, very few people ever liked these saws and are willing to get rid of them cheaply. At least, that's what I've heard a lot of. I'm still looking for one to add to the collection.

How'd they handle the two cylinders? Opposed or inline?

The twin came out when anti-vibe still wasn't very good, and few saws made more than 8 or 9k rpm. It was hyped as self-cancelling its own vibes, and did so to some extent. Power was low: I've never seen power figures but I'd rate it about even with a McC 10-10 or Homie SXL...good enough to do most anything with a 16 or 20" bar, but not a real performer.

I won a JD version in a drawing; kept it about a week, then traded it in on a used Toro rider...I remember they only allowed me about $250 on the saw. I also remember that its twin sister sat on the shelf at the JD dealer for about 5 years...they eventually had an auction sale to reduce stock on trade-ins and repaired units that were never picked up, and the 66 went on the sale for about $160.

Heres a picture of a twin Echo. Apparantly they were built for the softwood farms in the southern part of U.S., but never really caught on.
John

Hey Gypo, can you get a few more photos of that thing? I've always wanted to see more than the usual left-side shot of those saws.

Thanks a lot. I suppose that vent on the front of the saw is the cooling air outlet for the front cylinder, right?

Hi John, the black cover is for access to the second spark plug. I suppose that the vent below the blk. cover is the exhaust. It was never my saw, it belongs to a friend in Colorado.
John

Back