Value of a 9 year old Taylor wood boiler?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosegunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
How much would you say this is worth?

Model year 2000
Rated to heat 2500 sq/ft
115,000 BTU/hr
350 gal water capacity
1480 lbs
12-24 burning time

What should you look for on a 9 year old boiler?

I mostly want something to set up to heat my pool in the summer and then eventually add it to the house forced air furnace.

gg

I have heard alot of the Taylors rust out around the water jacket with age, at least around here. On the other hand there are alot of them around here that have been here along time. As for what it is worth they have sold for 1000-1500 around here on craigslist.

Mac

i dont own a OWB so take this for what its worth ..everyone is my area that has a taylor says they are pretty much junk and they wish they had another model oWB

If it helps you any I gave 4 grand for a 400dcs heatmor that was in very good condition. I dont know if I overpayed or not but I got alot of extras also. 2 140k hanging water exchangers with fans and louvers, 3 taco pumps, and all the fittings on the back of the furnace. I would venture to guess there are 400 bucks in brass fittings on the back of furnace in my situation.

Thanks for the replies. The guy is asking $2200. Seems ok as long as the fire box/water jacket is ok.

But it seems like many people have had wood boilers last less than 9 years.

gg

Well...

I guess like most things it depends on how well it was taken care of. My Taylor is about 8 years old and looks (and works) great. Granted, it's under a pole barn with sides near the stove; The anode rod has been changed out regularly, I clean it out too often, replace gaskets ahead of time, etc.

I was at the State Fair yesterday and the regional Taylor distributor had about six different stoves out for display (most were sold) and besides some soot coloring, and normal wear and tear, mine looks in pretty good condition. I will say there is a new (to me) design I may try to incorporate. I will also say that some (some) of the welding doesn't seem to be as nice as my older one- I'm sure they're fine and will wear well, but it's something that I noticed. It may be nothing or my lack of experience with welding. :)

I would suggest as another poster mentioned, seeing what comes with it.. pumps, PEX tubing, fittings, clean out brushes, anode rod (do you need to buy a new one now?), extra chemical treatment for the water, etc. Look at all the gaskets (there's one on the back) to see how they look, does the temp gauge work or not, if possible, drain and take the anode rod out and look inside the water jacket with a bright flashlight. Does the aquastat work? Did he have the stove on a relay? Are the pumps original? Is the blower fan original (and does it work)?

Did he heat his water with the stove (that little feature is great and can be added on, but at a cost). If the feature isn't' there, that's a good negotiating point- look online for the price of the coil (then add in a the tubing, maybe a pump, the work). You'll need this feature to heat your pool.

Taylor's are a pretty straight forward design (good and bad).

Good luck-
Skot

Last edited:
I have a Taylor Coal/Wood burning OWS (over a year and a half old) paid $6800 and love it. It can heat up to 5000 sqft. In my area, many people have the Taylors. Before I bought mine, I asked many people if they were happy with their stove and I didn't hear any complaints just positive feedback. Another reason I liked the Taylor is that the fire box and door are big enough that if the water jacket needs welding in the future, I will be able to weld from inside the fire box. Parts are also easy to find. Like any product, you need to look over the stove really good and check the insulation, rust spots, ...ect. Also, in our area, there is one guy who has a Taylor stove that’s over 15 yrs old and he still uses his every winter. Good luck. :hmm3grin2orange:

:agree2:
I guess like most things it depends on how well it was taken care of. My Taylor is about 8 years old and looks (and works) great. Granted, it's under a pole barn with sides near the stove; The anode rod has been changed out regularly, I clean it out too often, replace gaskets ahead of time, etc.

I was at the State Fair yesterday and the regional Taylor distributor had about six different stoves out for display (most were sold) and besides some soot coloring, and normal wear and tear, mine looks in pretty good condition. I will say there is a new (to me) design I may try to incorporate. I will also say that some (some) of the welding doesn't seem to be as nice as my older one- I'm sure they're fine and will wear well, but it's something that I noticed. It may be nothing or my lack of experience with welding. :)

I would suggest as another poster mentioned, seeing what comes with it.. pumps, PEX tubing, fittings, clean out brushes, anode rod (do you need to buy a new one now?), extra chemical treatment for the water, etc. Look at all the gaskets (there's one on the back) to see how they look, does the temp gauge work or not, if possible, drain and take the anode rod out and look inside the water jacket with a bright flashlight. Does the aquastat work? Did he have the stove on a relay? Are the pumps original? Is the blower fan original (and does it work)?

Did he heat his water with the stove (that little feature is great and can be added on, but at a cost). If the feature isn't' there, that's a good negotiating point- look online for the price of the coil (then add in a the tubing, maybe a pump, the work). You'll need this feature to heat your pool.

Taylor's are a pretty straight forward design (good and bad).

Good luck-
Skot

:agree2:

Latest posts

Back